The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Screwcap Watch Update

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Screwcap Watch Update

by Hoke » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Happy to report I'm seeing more and more wines coming out under screwcap.

Today I saw:

La Mura Grillo Sicilia
Meursault Matrot
Fattoria Laila Verdicchio di Castelli di Jesi
Dr. Loosen Wehl. Son. Kab
Dr. Loosen Bern. Lay Kab
Meulenhof Wehl. Son. Spat
Nikolaihof GV Hefeabzug (Biodynamic)
Heidi Schrock Muscat
La Vielle Ferme Cotes du Ventoux
Paradise Ridge Sauvignon Blanc
Sapphire Hill RRV Chardonnay
Ceago Mendo Sauvignon Blanc
Ceago Chardonnay
Sineann Pinot Gris
Benton Lane PG
Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier
Borra Fusion Red Blend
Hess Estate Chardonnay Monterey
Argyle Chardonnay
Davis Bynum Fume Blanc
Mauritson DCV Sauvignon Blanc
Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc
Patianna Sauvignon Blanc
Kunde Sauvignon Blanc Magnolia
Whitehall Lane Sauvignon Blanc
Emmolo Sauvignon Blanc

Not bad for a casual stroll down the wine aisles.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Screwcap Watch Update

by Carl Eppig » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

You can add: d'Arenberg "The Stump Jump." Great juice. As a matter of fact "The Wine News" just named it the value in a GSM. Agree.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Hoke wrote:Heidi Schrock Muscat

Hoke,

Where did you see the Heidi-Schrock? I purchased their late harvest Sylvaner when I was in Austria and it was excellent. We have not been able to find more of their wine here in the U.S. From the picture of the owners I found in a wine book it looked to be a Mom and Pop operation. Suffice it to say the the Heidi-Schrocks are a rather stout couple who don't appear to be wasting time sitting around fanning themselves. It looks they're out there on the vineyard, in the dirt, with the grapes.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:52 pm

I saw the Schrock in Sonoma, Sam.

It's not all that easy to find here, so I can imagine in Indiana it would be more difficult. Shame, as she makes very good wine.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm

You 'da man!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:43 am

I bottled my '06 Pinot Gris, Rose of Gamay, and red Gamay all under screwcap, and I am one happy guy! Not only do I not worry about TCA, but bottle-shock never really happened! Whoooo-eeeee!!!!!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 am

I've got a sales brochure here from a Sydney retailer offering top trophy-winning wines from the 2007 Sydney International Wine Competition, an annual affair in which wines are judged with food (an event our host attended as a judge some years ago, IIRC).

As a food-based competition, wines are grouped into food-friendly groups (and not exclusively restricted to Australian wines), but it's interesting to see the closure statistics - from the brochure at least - on the wines offered, not least because they are generally current release wines - there are no museum classes.

The numbers below aren't reflective of overall numbers, just the pick of the top trophy winners selected by one retailer to highlight in their mailer.

Classes, with no. of winning wines under cork;
Sparkling: 3 from 3
Aromatic whites: 0 from 6
Sauvignon Blancs: 0 from 7
Light & Med body whites: 1 from 7
Full body whites: 0 from 4
Rose: 0 from 4
Pinot: 1 from 4
Light body reds: 2 from 6
Medium body reds: 2 from 6
Full bodied reds: 8 from 11

Game set & match, I think.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 am

Graeme Gee wrote:(an event our host attended as a judge some years ago, IIRC).

Twice in fact! 2000 and, I think, 2003. They'd like to have me back again, and I'd like to come, but it's hard to work out because of the time and travel commitment.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:53 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Hoke wrote:Heidi Schrock Muscat

Hoke,

Where did you see the Heidi-Schrock? I purchased their late harvest Sylvaner when I was in Austria and it was excellent. We have not been able to find more of their wine here in the U.S.

Sam,

Schrock is a Terry Theise selection, distributed by Michael Skurnik wines. The distribute nationally, so there should be ways for you to find the wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Steve wrote:
I bottled my '06 Pinot Gris, Rose of Gamay, and red Gamay all under screw cap, and I am one happy guy! Not only do I not worry about TCA, but bottle-shock never really happened! Whoooo-eeeee!!!!!

This is what one would expect, no Steve? The styles and types of wines described are very likely produced with modern-day (somewhat reductive) winemaking techniques, and bottled with modern bottling machines and screw caps (therefore reducing the amount of air allowed into the bottle). So therefore it is very unlikely that these wines would experience bottle shock or sickness. One would expect that these wines are ready for market “right out of the gate” (when they come off the bottling line). .

Salute
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:08 pm

David Bueker wrote:Schrock is a Terry Theise selection, distributed by Michael Skurnik wines. The distribute nationally, so there should be ways for you to find the wines.

David,

Thanks for the info. I will try to contact Skurnik Wines and see what they can do. I've tried getting it ordered through local shops with no luck. I find very limited hits on the internet; only four listings on Wineaccess (I'm not a member) and Heide-Schrock doesn't appear to have a website.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:34 pm

When will the 06's be released Steve?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Graeme Gee wrote:(an event our host attended as a judge some years ago, IIRC).

Twice in fact! 2000 and, I think, 2003. They'd like to have me back again, and I'd like to come, but it's hard to work out because of the time and travel commitment.

Wouldn't be certain, but I strongly suspect the Rose classes have improved since you had to suffer them previously...
Graeme
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:08 am

Sam Platt wrote:
David Bueker wrote:Schrock is a Terry Theise selection, distributed by Michael Skurnik wines. The distribute nationally, so there should be ways for you to find the wines.

David,

Thanks for the info. I will try to contact Skurnik Wines and see what they can do. I've tried getting it ordered through local shops with no luck. I find very limited hits on the internet; only four listings on Wineaccess (I'm not a member) and Heide-Schrock doesn't appear to have a website.

Searching on Schrock (don't put in Heidi) on Winesearcher (the free version) gives hits all over the country. You would have ot order, but it's out there.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:

David,

Searching on Schrock (don't put in Heidi) on Winesearcher (the free version) gives hits all over the country. You would have ot order, but it's out there.

I have been able to track down some Schrock wines up here!! The agent is in Calgary so will call as Muscat is on allocation.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks guys. I did get 41 hits by typing "Schrock" only into Wineaccess. It looks like I can order it. Unfortunately, getting it shipped to the Hoosier state is a mixed bag thanks to our Luddite party majority legislature. I will see what I can do.
Sam

no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:26 am

Sam Platt wrote:... and Heide-Schrock doesn't appear to have a website.

First, it's Heid_i_ (her first name), second, it's Schröck (without a hyphen), and of course she has a website, even with an English version:

http://www.heidi-schroeck.com/
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks Michael. I'm looking at the bottle as we speak and the name is definitely hyphenated. The correct spelling is "Heidi", with an "i". I will check out the web site.
Sam

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:24 am

Sam,
Check your PM.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:58 am

FYI Michael - when doing searches the umlaut doesn't alter the search criteria. Plus they are a pain to type of USA keyboards, so they frequnetly get omitted, even by me. :?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:FYI Michael - when doing searches the umlaut doesn't alter the search criteria.

Not true of Google. A search on "Heidi Schrock" brings up 43,400 hits. "Heidi Schröck" gets 76,100 hits, including the winery Website, http://www.heidi-schroeck.com/

"Heidi Schroeck" yields only 600 results, even though the winery URL uses that form.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:FYI Michael - when doing searches the umlaut doesn't alter the search criteria.

Not true of Google. A search on "Heidi Schrock" brings up 43,400 hits. "Heidi Schröck" gets 76,100 hits, including the winery Website, http://www.heidi-schroeck.com/

"Heidi Schroeck" yields only 600 results, even though the winery URL uses that form.

Doesn't affect winesearcher - that's what I meant. (granted I use the free version)

Google is largely irrelevant to Sam's needs. He's looking to buy wines, not research an article.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Doesn't affect winesearcher - that's what I meant. (granted I use the free version)

Google is largely irrelevant to Sam's needs. He's looking to buy wines, not research an article.

Ah, okay, good point. :) It's the same on Wine-seasrcher free and pro, by the way ... I happen to know that they hand-code in a lot of common misspellings (and umlaut/no-umlaut alternatives) to make for more effective "fuzzy" searching.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:26 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:FYI Michael - when doing searches the umlaut doesn't alter the search criteria. Plus they are a pain to type of USA keyboards, so they frequnetly get omitted, even by me. :?

Umlauts made easy here: AllChars for Windows

Download this little program and you'll be putting umlauts in places you never thought you would. Three keystrokes: Ctrl + o + " = ö. Ctrl + s + s = ß. Ctrl + n + ~ = ñ. Etc. and so on.

It's a free program. There are no tracking cookies or pop-ups.
And now what?
Next