The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

WTN: Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga 1999

by fjlosada » Mon May 01, 2006 5:55 pm

This is the version of Felsina CCR made for export, I was told. It is the white label CCR rather than the grey label CCR Rancia. Very intense nose of ripe cherries and balsamic. Bright medium purple color. Medium body, 13.5% abv. Dark cherries, balsamic, sandalwood, earth and spice. Still a bit tannic. It opened up nicely after about a couple of hours from uncorking. This one has some five more years to hit its peak. Medium finish with some cinnamon aftertaste. Felsina never disappoints me. Excellent with pan seared steaks and a tomato, pasta and hard boiled egg salad.
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

Re: WTN: Felsina Chianti Classico Riserva Berardenga 1999

by Dave Moritz » Tue May 02, 2006 12:00 am

Nice note on the Felsina. I too had the opportunity a few weeks ago to taste this wine, though in the 2003 version. I recall that when it was first uncorked, there was very little on nose and semi-sweet and confected fruit on the palate (not surprising, perhaps, given the vintage). With some air time over several hours, it really opened up and showed some interesting structure. Not sure how this particular wine will cellar, but I came away with the same impression you had - Felsina is a real class act.