The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYS & Finger Lakes in Wine Spectator May 31 issue

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: NYS & Finger Lakes in Wine Spectator May 31 issue

by Paul B. » Tue May 02, 2006 12:57 pm

John, I've never bought this magazine before, but I think you have just prompted me to buy that issue. :)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue May 02, 2006 2:45 pm

I got the subscribers copy a few days ago. It's a decent read, with some good pictures although "America's answer to the Mosel" might be a bit of a push.
There wasn't any name that I recognized featured in the best wineries in the area though.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue May 02, 2006 4:21 pm

they did list the wineries on page 74 with no classification as to "the best

The article is broken into 3 regions: Finger Lakes, Long Island, Hudson River and in each region they list and outline 5-10 specific recommended wineries (who's wines got their highest scores. Because we know how score-driven we should be) :wink: The listing starting on pg 73 is indeed a compilation of all regional wineries that they had info on.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue May 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I glanced thru the article this weekend at trout opener - funny that no mention of Weimer among the best. Perhaps an off year for them. I remember a reference to Lamaroux Landing, Constantine Franc, and I think Heron Hill among others.
-OW
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Wed May 03, 2006 6:12 am

John D. Zuccarino wrote:This post is not meant to offend the wine judges we have on this board. I respect what they do. As long as they enjoy doing it and I would hope they respect my independent thinking.

No offense taken here. Some disappointment as I'm judging at the International Eastern and was looking forward to some of your wines being there & trying them (it's blind but afterwards, if you save your notes, you can find out what you had).
Cannot wait to read the issue, Parker was supposed to do FL this passed issue but held off a couple of months. Great to see the area start to get some press it deserves. Congrats being in the issue.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed May 03, 2006 10:24 am

Ed Draves wrote:
John D. Zuccarino wrote:Some disappointment as I'm judging at the International Eastern and was looking forward to some of your wines being there & trying them (it's blind but afterwards, if you save your notes, you can find out what you had).

Ed, have you been doing that long? I think one of our Michigan wines was top riesling at that event three years ago.
-OW
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Wed May 03, 2006 10:41 am

John,
I love and admire the approach of meeting and giving personal service to all your customers. The best part of my job is approaching people on the sales floor, no matter what they want to buy, and helping make their experience a better one. An old but true line (modified) "We sell happiness and service, the wine sells itself". I think we share the same outlook.
I hope to stop by sometime this summer and introduce myself. I promised Dick Reno that I'd visit him soon and I'd like to swing over and try some of your wines.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Wed May 03, 2006 10:50 am

3 out of the last 4 years, and then this year. I did not go last year because I was caring for my Grandmother. A sick reletive is the only thing that could keep me away. There are a lot of wines there that are not available for me to taste any other way (ie Michigan Riesling)
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:"America's answer to the Mosel" might be a bit of a push.

Bill,

Care to elaborate?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Thomas wrote:Bill,

Care to elaborate?

Sure. NY and Mosel are two very distinctive wine regions that happen to have a large focus on riesling. The analogy used in the article would be the same as saying Napa is the US answer to Bordeaux. Very different regions, very different expressions, with really the only connection being that they are making (argueably) very good wines out of the same varietal(s). A direct comparison of the two is difficult at best.
Secondly, "answer to" implies that something else in on par or even surpasses the other. The Red Sox answer to the Yankees signing ARod was to push hard to get Schilling, for example. Germany produces some of the greatest expression of riesling on the planet. I've yet to see anyone that doesnt have direct ties to NY wineries say that about NY rieslings and the few that I've had have been ok to very good. Again, my opinion, but I don't see it as an answer to Mosel at all.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Thomas wrote:Bill,

Care to elaborate?

Sure. NY and Mosel are two very distinctive wine regions that happen to have a large focus on riesling. The analogy used in the article would be the same as saying Napa is the US answer to Bordeaux. Very different regions, very different expressions, with really the only connection being that they are making (argueably) very good wines out of the same varietal(s). A direct comparison of the two is difficult at best.
Secondly, "answer to" implies that something else in on par or even surpasses the other. The Red Sox answer to the Yankees signing ARod was to push hard to get Schilling, for example. Germany produces some of the greatest expression of riesling on the planet. I've yet to see anyone that doesnt have direct ties to NY wineries say that about NY rieslings and the few that I've had have been ok to very good. Again, my opinion, but I don't see it as an answer to Mosel at all.

Thanks Bill,

Since I am in the wine business, and I am in the Finger Lakes, I suppose there is no way I will persuade you otherwise. Curious, however, that you claim the following: "I've yet to see anyone that doesnt have direct ties to NY wineries say that about NY rieslings...

Seems to me the quote that elicited your opinion was from someone at WS, not someone in the Finger Lakes wine industry.

As to the second part of your comment...and the few that I've had have been ok to very good."

I'd be curious to know what it is about FL vs. Germany that is behind your opinion (other than mere 'very good to ok').
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed May 03, 2006 10:10 pm

Thomas wrote: Thanks Bill,

Since I am in the wine business, and I am in the Finger Lakes, I suppose there is no way I will persuade you otherwise. Curious, however, that you claim the following: "I've yet to see anyone that doesn't have direct ties to NY wineries say that about NY rieslings...

Seems to me the quote that elicited your opinion was from someone at WS, not someone in the Finger Lakes wine industry.

Please re-read my comment, Thomas. I said I hadnt seen anyone outside of NY wineries say that NY riesling are some of the best on the planet. The quote from WS merely said that FL was the US answer to Mosel. My only response to that quote was what you originally saw, namely, that it's a push.

I'd be curious to know what it is about FL vs. Germany that is behind your opinion (other than mere 'very good to ok').

I'm guessing you feel differently about FL than I do and you certainly have more pertinent experience so please tell me why you think they are world-class, highly expressive, highly age-worthy, and complex as are rieslings from say Germany or Alsace.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Thu May 04, 2006 7:24 am

"I'm guessing you feel differently about FL than I do and you certainly have more pertinent experience so please tell me why you think they are world-class, highly expressive, highly age-worthy, and complex as are rieslings from say Germany or Alsace."

Well now,

I am not aiming for a pissing contest, but I don't think I made the claim in this thread that your question implies, but since you ask..

"...why you think they are world-class, highly expressive, highly age-worthy, and complex as are rieslings from say Germany or Alsace."

here is my reply:

world-class--because I have sat through about half a dozen industry workshops that compared Rieslings from around the world, and the FLakes region does quite well against the others, especially well.

highly expressive--for this answer, one needs to have experienced the regional traits in order to understand the wines' expressions--I have, and they do.

highly age-worthy, and complex as are rieslings from say Germany or Alsace--in 2003 I opened for a group of associates the last remaining bottles of Riesling that I had produced before I closed my winery in 1993. They were from '85, '87, '88, '89, and 91 (the '86 and '90 were so bad that I had made jelly from the wine rather than try to sell it as wine). Anyway, except for the 91, the others showed astounding staying power, petroleum, viscosity, intensity, and minerality (the last is a signature of Keuka Lake Riesling). I had produced the '91 in a more Alsatian style--it held up, but not nearly as well as the '85 for instance, which had been produced in a Mosel Kabinett style.
One problem here is that there is so little Riesling to go around that most are consumed way too young.

You can believe me or you can pooh, pooh my answer, but it is not just my opinion--it is an opinion with a basis.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu May 04, 2006 7:43 am

Just to add to the point, 4 years ago as a treat for the judges at the International Eastern Wine competition we got to taste through 1979-(I believe)1999 Rieslings made by Glenora. The results were astounding! Not a single Riesling had passed, all tasted very good. I know 9 years in the Lakewood 1997 is drinking very well.
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

by Ed Draves » Thu May 04, 2006 9:43 am

John,
I was only speaking to the astounding quaity of the wines (when I said passed, I meant not a one was passed it's window of drinkablity, all were still good). I'd love to do a 20 year Wiemer Riesling tasting, I imagine it could be even better than the Glenora tasting. Wiemer is an icon for a very good reason, quality quality quality.
Next