The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Leo Buring Eden Valley "Leonay" Riesling DWG17 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Leo Buring Eden Valley "Leonay" Riesling DWG17 2003

by David Lole » Fri May 05, 2006 5:34 am

Infantile colour reveals the palest of straw, almost white with flickering green flashes; luminescent. Classy, steely bouquet - chalky minerals, lime blossoms, grapefruit, river pebbles with some estery bread dough in the background. Barely out of nappies! The palate marches to the identical beat of the same drum - tightly coiled, full of minerally, chalky, lime fruit with indelible acidity virtually closing down the mid-palate. Thankfully the fruit re-emerges on a reasonably long, crisp, bone-dry finish with a subtle lime, grapefruit and mineral aftertaste. Should not to be opened for another 5-7 years. Could easily live for another 10+ thereafter. Very Good/Excellent now (just far too young) but expect this to be spectacular in 2013+. Fantastic potential! I liken this in style to the early Vickery Riesling's circa late sixties/early seventies. Good job!

12% A/V. Screwcap.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Leo Buring Eden Valley "Leonay" Riesling DWG17 2003

by Jenise » Fri May 05, 2006 11:04 am

Hi, David, what a gorgeous-sounding wine. We in the states get to know too little Aussie reisling, and in fact I've got only one in my cellar: Glen Eldon. What do you know/think of this producer?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Leo Buring Eden Valley "Leonay" Riesling DWG17 2003

by David Lole » Fri May 05, 2006 5:21 pm

Not quite gorgeous yet, Jenise! :wink:

Have not ever heard of (or cannot find any reference to) Glen Eldon, sorry. :?
Cheers,

David