The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's your latest wine fascination?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: What's your latest wine fascination?

by Marc D » Thu May 10, 2007 10:00 am

Marc said:
The Arbois Poulsard I drank last night was pretty fascinating. So much flavor for a wine with a clear orange ruby color.

The Jura wines (white and reds) are pretty interesting as a group, only wish there were more available to try.

Marc, where did you find the Arbois? Sounds interesting, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I've never had a pure/still poulsard.

Jura wines--have had almost none. One old white somewhere along the way that I can't remember much about now, and certainly never a red. What grapes are used in the reds?

Bob H--yes, that Minervois. Bought the 05. The 04's I was talking about are the Il Mimo nebbiolo.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 am

Bill Hooper wrote:
Jenise wrote:We all go through phases. We try a little of this and a little of that. Then along comes a magic bottle, maybe something beloved years ago that fell out of favor, or some new wine discovery has cast a spell on you and now you are paying extra attention to that grape or growing area. Whatever it is, it's your current 'jones'. You can't get enough of it.

What, for you, is that wine right now?

White burgundy, here.

Hungary. Oh, and dry Muscat, and for that matter dry Hungarian Muscat. I'm never satisfied with red wine these days...

Have you had Vignalta's (Italy) dry muscat? Just picked up a bottle. I've loved everything else this winery has done, so I'm looking forward to this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu May 10, 2007 11:00 am

Trying to expand my experience with Spanish wines. Currently enjoying a 1995 Baroja Gran Reserva Rioja and have two Crianzas to try in a comparison tasting. May help me decide what to bring if I come to Mo'Cool this year. I look forward to opening more German (and possibly Austrian or Alsatian) Rieslings this summer and may purchase some in DC late June (may contact Bassins and have them hold some for me.)
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Thu May 10, 2007 1:09 pm

Vino Nobile!
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Funky and old, old-style Portugal - as might have been noticable from certain recent posts.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Tis moving towards rosé season, and I'm looking forward to trying new releases. Just reported on the ESJ Bone Jolly, have Chivite rosado and the '06 Il Mimo in drinking rack
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Dale, you're another Il Mimo fan! That was my favorite rose of last summer, that and the Donjon. I just picked up five more bottles of the '04--that you have an 06 startles me. I'm not sure we ever saw an 05 up here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu May 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Jenise, is the Donjon a Handpicked Selections wine from the Minervois? if so it is about $11 here which I think is a tad more than it should be, but it is very good. and yes here is also the 04 vintage.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Ian Fitzsimmons

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

Vienna, Virginia

by Ian Fitzsimmons » Thu May 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Was red Burgundy, is Champagne, northern Italy and Tuscany are next in line. Alas, I can only scratch the surface of each with my resources.
Ian
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Thu May 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Jenise wrote:What, for you, is that wine right now?

Mine is Spanish wine. Tempranillo, especially Rioja. But garanacha from Montsant and pinot or Cab from Penedes are also good.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu May 10, 2007 10:57 pm

Marc, where did you find the Arbois? Sounds interesting, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I've never had a pure/still poulsard.

K and L Wines has a selection from Tissot, Puffeney, and a fabulous chardonnay from Dom de Montbourgeau from Etoile.

The wine last night was the 2004 Arbois Poulsard from Stephane Tissot. Beautiful translucent orange ruby color, lots of red fruits (strawberry/cranberry), light to medium bodied at most with 13.5% abv, crisp with some tannins but not drying. Lots of cracked black pepper. The bottle says sans soufre and n'est pas filtre.

The other Poulsard I really like is the 2002 Houillon Overnoy Arbois- Pupillin. It is fresh, tangy, earthy, complex and delicious. Some bottles have been bretty, but the good ones are fantastic. The Overnoy was from Chambers St. The Tissot Poulsard is a cleaner wine, good but not as interesting as the Overnoy.

Jura wines--have had almost none. One old white somewhere along the way that I can't remember much about now, and certainly never a red. What grapes are used in the reds?

I am a total beginner here, but I think the reds include Pinot Noir, Poulsard, which also goes by Ploussard, and Trousseau.

I have a friend who lives in Lyon, and one of these years I am hoping to visit and tour around the Jura. I've heard it is beautiful.

Anyway, the wines are a breath of fresh air. The reds are light enough to drink during the summer, and have plenty of acidity to accompany food. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but I've really liked the ones I've tried so far. They make me want to search out some more to try.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri May 11, 2007 4:36 pm

Jenise wrote:Dale, you're another Il Mimo fan! That was my favorite rose of last summer, that and the Donjon. I just picked up five more bottles of the '04--that you have an 06 startles me. I'm not sure we ever saw an 05 up here.

Jenise, I am to Il Mimo as Florida Jim is to the '99 Gilles Robin- author of a hundred mash notes. Even the 2003 was good. 2006 is everywhere around here now.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat May 12, 2007 11:29 am

Jenise wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:
Jenise wrote:We all go through phases. We try a little of this and a little of that. Then along comes a magic bottle, maybe something beloved years ago that fell out of favor, or some new wine discovery has cast a spell on you and now you are paying extra attention to that grape or growing area. Whatever it is, it's your current 'jones'. You can't get enough of it.

What, for you, is that wine right now?

White burgundy, here.

Hungary. Oh, and dry Muscat, and for that matter dry Hungarian Muscat. I'm never satisfied with red wine these days...

Have you had Vignalta's (Italy) dry muscat? Just picked up a bottle. I've loved everything else this winery has done, so I'm looking forward to this.

Jenise, I have not. But I'm looking forward to a TN. Drink up!
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sat May 12, 2007 2:50 pm

While mostly an oldworld kinda guy, of late (say 1 year), I've been trouncing around Napa (averaging about once a month for 12 months) and really enjoying the juice. Favourities include Heitz, Phelps, Terra Valentine, Spring Mountain, Sattui and many more. ....just pocketbook is hurting a bit.
no avatar
User

François Audouze

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:05 pm

Noisy-leSec France

by François Audouze » Sat May 12, 2007 5:39 pm

For the dinner that I made in Chateau d'Yquem, I had included a Royal Kébir Frédéric Lung, Algerian red wine 1945.

Some days later, my last daughter and her man come home with a big fat black truffle. I take in cellar a Pétrus 1974 for the truffle, and as I had bought some "feuilletés au jambon", I extact from the cellar a very dusty bottle on which what is written is "LUNG" and "1940".
From what I see it should be a white and it looks interesting to try this Algerian wine some days after the try of a 1945 red.

I open the wine : it is a rosé.
This is the greatest ever rosé that I have drunk.
And it is absolutely impossible to describe the wine.
The only thing that I knew is that it was a total pleasure.

This wine has fascinated me. And as The 1974 Pétrus was absolutely great (above any preconceived idea about the year), to know that an ordinary rosé is even better than a great Pétrus added to the pleasure.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 pm

That's large praise coming from you! I did not know that a rose could survive that long.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun May 13, 2007 1:02 am

Probably French Rhones. I've had some really good cheap reds from Southern France that I realize are not the "best," but for $10 or so, they have so much more character and interest than the Castle Rocks and Gallos of California.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Art Morris

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:53 am

West Virginia

by Art Morris » Sun May 13, 2007 8:54 pm

I seem to be hopelessly enamoured with big, Cali-style cabs. As a result, my bank account is suffering,as bargains in this grape are rare. The good news is- we're coming into rose season, so I can give my wallet a bit of a break. :lol:

CHEERS!

Art
We're not here for a long time,
we're here for a GOOD time !
Previous