The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

WTN: 2006 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

by Sue Courtney » Sun May 07, 2006 4:15 pm

Been away for a few weeks travelling in the South Island and while I was in Marlborough tasted some new vintage Sauvignon Blanc ex tank, the most delicious being one from Saint Clair with fruit sourced from a newish vineyard 55 kilometres south of the Wairau Valley. But already there are two early release Sauvignon Blancs on the market - and the fruit was only harvested at end of March, beginning of April.
One is Allan Scott Early Release Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2006, made by Josh Scott, Allan Scott's son, to honour his father's 30 years in the wine industry. I haven't tasted this.
The other is Coopers Creek Early Release Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2006 - a fresh fruit wine with a lime and passionfruit aroma and a soft, sweet fruit flavour that seems quite gentle for the first two seconds then hits you with its bracing freshness. It is powerfully pungent with lemon grass herb and tropical fruit and some residual sugar to appeal to the masses. Interesting to taste but there is much better to come judging by the Saint Clair tank sample.
It’s going to be a good year for Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 2006 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 pm

It’s going to be a good year for Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

Hi Sue, So the growing season was a good one? I didnt really notice a big difference between 2004 and 2005 SB's but I didnt have that many either. They were all very good, btw. Do you expect 2006 to be similar?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: WTN: 2006 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

by Sue Courtney » Mon May 08, 2006 1:01 am

Hi Bill, the proof will be in the tasting. There is always the winemakers' hype but I will wait for a few more months - about late August, early September - to get a real feel for the vintage. There will always be fantastic wines, there always are, like the Saint Clair stuff, but I'm hoping to see more consistency right across the board.
Cheers,
Sue