The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Shipping wine from Oz to Canada

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Shipping wine from Oz to Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sun May 07, 2006 10:15 am

Robin:

Not sure if this posting belongs in this forum. Please feel free to move it if you feel it belongs elsewhere.

My step-son is currently touring Australia for a couple of years and wants to send home some wine he has picked up. He says if I do the research on how to accomplish this I can have some for myself, so I am highly motivated!!

So, can anyone advise on how to go about doing this and how much it might cost, not just in shipping but in those nasty Canadian taxes and duties?

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Shipping wine from Oz to Canada

by Robin Garr » Sun May 07, 2006 10:35 am

Bruce Hayes wrote:So, can anyone advise on how to go about doing this and how much it might cost, not just in shipping but in those nasty Canadian taxes and duties?

Bruce, I can't help much with the specifics, other than to note that Paul B and other Canadian participants have occasionally bewailed the strictness, and the cost, of Canadian customs. This is one rare case where the US is apparently less restrictive ... we can generally receive wines from abroad, or bring them home ourselves, with minimal red tape and only nominal taxes and duty (which are usually waived). From what I hear, Canadian Customs doesn't do that. :(

I hope some of your compatriots will jump in with chapter and verse - I'd like to have a good answer to this FAQ myself, but I'm afraid the answer isn't going to be a good one ... the threshold is clearly high enough to keep Paul B from making the short trip over to the Finger Lakes and coming home with a trunkload of labrusca and Norton, for instance.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Shipping wine from Oz to Canada

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun May 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Bruce, your problem is that you do not have any private wine stores in Ontario!! I know (nod nod wink wink) of one good way out west here. Get the wine shipped as samples from a store in oz to a store over here. Handling charge this end if store owner is willing and enthusiastic!! Ah hum, I know one guy got 6 cases shipped over this way.......from the UK.
Ooops, whos dat knockin` on my door?