Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Match made in heaven - ginger lime chicken & Donnhoff

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Match made in heaven - ginger lime chicken & Donnhoff

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 04, 2006 9:24 pm

So we're at my folks' house, and we had some leftovers of 2004 Donnhoff Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese (hard to believe, huh?), and we had our ginger lime grilled chicken. You would not believe how the chicken (and especially the reduced marinade) amplified the wine to heights unknown in civilized society. Delicious. This was a double plus wine and food match.

Try it, you'll like it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Match made in heaven - ginger lime chicken & Donnhoff

by Jenise » Sat May 06, 2006 2:36 pm

Sounds great, David. Lime is an amazing ingredient, one that's used too rarely beyond the salad course.

I'm suddenly reminded of a dish Craig of Montreal posted on the original FLDG called Chicken Yasser. It's an African stew in which halves of whole lime, peel and all, are stewed with red chiles and chicken. The flavor of the peel converts to a coconut flavor with long cooking. I made it when I was staying in Holland, and it was one of the best riesling matches of all time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon May 08, 2006 4:09 pm

Jenise wrote:Lime is an amazing ingredient, one that's used too rarely beyond the salad course.

???

i.e. Are you serious? I thought limes were used quite a bit more. Or maybe that's just this side of the pond.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Not joking. In western cooking, lemons are far more common. Limes tend to be destined for the bar: gimlets, gin & tonic, margaritas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 08, 2006 8:33 pm

I prefer lime to lemon in cooking.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard Atkinson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 pm

by Richard Atkinson » Mon May 29, 2006 4:16 pm

Along those lines also...try cumin, lime, EVOO , salt , pepper & chopped garlic for your next grilled or baked chicken.

The same mix aboe can be added to cooked, rinsed white or pinto beans w/ chopped red onion for a great side dish to.

For the most part, I prefer limes over lemons for cooking.

Richard
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed May 31, 2006 1:47 am

Jenise wrote: ....... The flavor of the peel converts to a coconut flavor with long cooking. I made it when I was staying in Holland, and it was one of the best riesling matches of all time.

Jenise, Amazing. I find that coconut character sometimes in older dry Australian rieslings, which are very limey when young. I remember a Riesling seminar I did in 1999 with Geoffrey Grosset, who makes some of Australia's most heralded Rieslings, and when I said I could taste coconut in this older Riesling, he said there was a correlation between lime and coconut.
I see in my tasting notes database I have also picked up a lime/coconut character in an older dry NZ riesling as well.
I would love to know what is going on to convert lime to coconut with age.
Cheers,
Sue