The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Any info on Domaine de Chaberton winery-wines?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Any info on Domaine de Chaberton winery-wines?

by Bruce Hayes » Tue May 09, 2006 9:59 am

My wife and I plan to spend two weeks in Vancouver this July and a BC-based friend proposed a visit to this winery, which is, I believe, based in Langley.

When we were first planning this trip, I was considering a three or four day detour to Kelowna, but that has been scrubbed due to the large number of family-friends in the Vancouver area.

Can anyone offer any insights on this winery and/or its wines? Is it worth a visit?

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Any info on Domaine de Chaberton winery-wines?

by Robin Garr » Tue May 09, 2006 10:39 am

Bruce, I can't help with the winery, but I took the liberty of moving this into the wine forum, since it's really more about the winery than about travel, and might get more immediate answers here.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue May 09, 2006 10:47 am

Thanks Robin. To be honest, I had originally written it for the Wine Forum but then, just as I was about hit "Submit" had second thoughts and diverted it to travel.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 09, 2006 11:00 am

Bruce,

I've had some of Chamberton's white wines by the glass when dining around Vancouver--in fact, they may make only white wines. They're nice. There are three or four other wineries who pour wines in the area too--Township 7 and Glenugie are two names that come to mind. The former tend toward overt, ripe fruit, and they're well-made for that style. The latter I've never had. Re taking three or four days to go to Kelowna--as a traveller and a wine lover, there's nothing, NOTHING, like drinking the wines in the places they're made to give you a sense of them. The trip from Vancouver is about five.. You can leave bright and early, taste all afternoon, stay the night and drive home the next day. And you don't want to go to Kelowna, you want instead to go to Penticton (stay at the Best Western) and taste at La Frenz, Lang and Kettle Valley, or do the south loop that goes to Blue Mountain, Blasted Church, Wild Goose and a few others. You might even get to Gehringer and Tinhorn Creek. You'll miss Cedar Creek (which on the east side of the lake and a royal pain to get to), but the time saved will be put to excellent use--the best concentration of good wineries is in Penticton, not Kelowna. The next morning head for Oliver and taste at Burrowing Owl, then go a little further south to pick up the old road back to Vancouver. Take picnic food with you and have a great lunch in one of the many campgrounds along the way. In just two days you can have an Okanagan experience that will inform the way you think about BC wines when you're fortunate enough to get them.

Are you planning to make yourself available for an offline while you're here?
Last edited by Jenise on Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue May 09, 2006 11:06 am

Its been a few years since I have seen anything from this winery but at that time was not too impressed. Its a pity you cannot come west Bruce, guess you will come across some nice Washington wines however in the local stores.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Tue May 09, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info Jenise. I took a quick look at their Web site and they do offer a few reds, although the majority of their wines are white.

As for an off-line, my wife and I would certainly be up for that, assuming others are interested. I am afraid I can't recall, exactly, when we will be there: we arrive either July 10 or 12 for ten days or so.

We are staying downtown at the Sylvia Hotel, on English Bay, close to Stanley Park. I have been to Vancouver a number of times on business, but this will be my wife's first trip.

As I indicated, we have friends and family in town so there will be some limits on our time, but I am sure we can tear ourselves away for an off-line.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Offline in July? I wonder, an hours flight from Edmonton?
Where is Mishy when we need her!!!