Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Have you all discussed Garlic and Sapphires yet?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Have you all discussed Garlic and Sapphires yet?

by Barb Freda » Mon May 08, 2006 3:13 pm

The book about her life as NYT restaurant critic by Ruth Reichl? Just curious. I picked it up last week and loved it. She's wacky but she just loves food and that really comes across.

B
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Have you all discussed Garlic and Sapphires yet?

by Robin Garr » Mon May 08, 2006 5:02 pm

Barb Freda wrote:The book about her life as NYT restaurant critic by Ruth Reichl? Just curious. I picked it up last week and loved it. She's wacky but she just loves food and that really comes across.

I read it, Barb, but I dunno ... I really have a hard time warming up to her. Not just in this book but her others, I just feel like there's a thin line between fact and fiction in her books, and I'm not sure she knows when she crosses it, herself. :roll:
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon May 08, 2006 7:49 pm

I didn't feel it was so much a thin line between fact and fiction (although it may be that), but a line, almost between sane and insane..her upbringing? The schizophrenic aspects of her dressing up and liking and disliking some of the people she became?

Just intrigued me.

Oh, and I want her job.

B
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 08, 2006 8:42 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Just intrigued me.

Oh, me too. I did read it all the way through. I just suspected that she was making a lot of it up. Certainly she put her very short tenure at The Times in the best possible light, but hey, who wouldn't?

Oh, and I want her job.

Come back to Louisville, Barb! We'll fix you up with something almost as good ...
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Wed May 10, 2006 10:57 am

I liked "Garlic & Sapphires", but enjoyed her first two books more. Perhaps it's due to parts of those two books being set here on the West Coast, especially in NoCal, around the time I first moved here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 10, 2006 11:38 am

Barb Freda wrote:Oh, and I want her job.

B

Me, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed May 10, 2006 11:47 am

I was very surprised to read the book and get that same uneasy feeling Barb.

I heard her discuss the book and her experiences on a very long -- two hour -- interview on Public Radio. She was pressed very hard, but she came across in person as very down to earth, quite amused at herself and at the way people reacted to her in her various costumes and personalities.

I wonder if she doesn't have a problem with communicating her sense of humor in writing.

Regards, Bob