The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

624

Joined

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Location

Syracuse, NY

Re: The Background...

by Dan Smothergill » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:04 pm

Well, the pot appears to be near boiling thank you!

This is less a matter of who's right and wrong than being open minded. Questions about wine, like most questions, are best decided by science than by professionals.

Dale wrote:
In the case of magnets, an enormous amount of scientific knowledge exists re magnetism. None of this knowledge supports the idea that magnets will "age" or improve wine.

I try keeping up on this literature but am unaware of the studies you are referring to. Help?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

997

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 am

Location

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: The Background...

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:This is less a matter of who's right and wrong than being open minded. Questions about wine, like most questions, are best decided by science than by professionals.



You're channelling Dr. Science*: "There is a thin line between ignorance and arrogance," he says, "and only I have managed to erase that line."

*www.drscience.com[/url]
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
User avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Posts

8015

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Location

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: The Background...

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:Well, the pot appears to be near boiling thank you!

This is less a matter of who's right and wrong than being open minded. Questions about wine, like most questions, are best decided by science than by professionals.

Dale wrote:
In the case of magnets, an enormous amount of scientific knowledge exists re magnetism. None of this knowledge supports the idea that magnets will "age" or improve wine.

I try keeping up on this literature but am unaware of the studies you are referring to. Help?


Several people did separate double-blind tests of the various wine on the Randi.org site.

Robin also reported on one:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/wineadvis ... 1128.phtml

There was also this one from a British college:
http://tinyurl.com/ytq8g2

My favorite was the one where the radiologists put wine in an MRI machine, but I can't find that one.

James Randi also offered the maker of the Wine Clip a chance at his $1 Million prize , but the maker refused to participate in the test.

I'd be thrilled at the thought someone would do a big doubleblind test of travel shock. Until they do, as I noted, I'll try and play it safe as much as possible.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

997

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 am

Location

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: The Background...

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:53 pm

Dale,

If you lived out here I'd invite you to one of the 'experimental' tastings that we do every time a container lands, tasting the wines off the container to see if they're showing well. In the meantime you'll have to make do with Tom's very small blind experiment. (His description of the difference between the two wines is exactly what I would have thought, incidentally; it's always the same kind of difference.)
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
User avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Posts

2180

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Location

Snorbens, England

Re: Traveling Shock..Another Data Point...(long/boring)

by Peter May » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:42 pm

I personally rest wines before drinking, it seems sort of obvious that being shaken around is not good for a wine.

However it seems that most weeks there is a wine trade show and wine competition somewhere in the world where wine has been shipped in from the four corners, opened and judged or shown to buyers, so I wonder just how seriously the trade takes 'resting'.

Is it perhaps a perfect excuse to a less than thrilled consumer, to be placed alongside 'it needs food' and 'it need to be kept at least 5years'?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Posts

7017

Joined

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Location

Chapel Hill, NC

Re: Traveling Shock..Another Data Point...(long/boring)

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:26 pm

Peter May wrote:However it seems that most weeks there is a wine trade show and wine competition somewhere in the world where wine has been shipped in from the four corners, opened and judged or shown to buyers, so I wonder just how seriously the trade takes 'resting'.


Aren't the wines often shipped ahead of the actual event?

Or are professionals supposed to see through the minor temporary blemishes to divine the underlying truth.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

997

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 am

Location

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Traveling Shock..Another Data Point...(long/boring)

by Oliver McCrum » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:46 pm

Air freight appears to be much less of a problem than ocean freight.

There are people who bottle just days ahead of Vinitaly, despite the certainty that the wine will be negatively affected; some producers don't worry enough about those things. (Don't get me started on warm red wine at trade shows, either.)
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign