The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wanted - Brett and More Brett

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Wanted - Brett and More Brett

by Bill Spohn » Wed May 10, 2006 4:49 pm

From a discussion on another thread, Brettanomyces is like TCA - once you have experienced it, you are unlikely to forget it, unless you are one of the tasters insensitive to those experiences.

Can anyone suggest a perfect example of a Brett affected wine, preferably easily available now and reasonably priced, to act as an example for those who want to get a ranging shot for future reference?

I can suggest several older much more expensive bottles (several Beaucastels come to mind) but there must be something newer and less expensive.

The wine need not be available in Canada where I am, as this is not for me (I am very well acquainted with Brett) but for others not sure about what it is like.
Last edited by Bill Spohn on Wed May 10, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: Wanted - Brett and More Brett

by Tom Troiano » Wed May 10, 2006 4:59 pm

There's some Ridge Zins and Coturri wines famous for it but they may not be in the marketplace now. I'm sure TomHill can fill us in on the specific bottles.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 10, 2006 6:08 pm

Bill, got just the wine for you. 98 Meinert Merlot from South Africa. It goes right up close to the line of being too dirty without crossing it, and it's an attractive brett as bretts go. I rather like it. As a test, it wouldn't leave any doubt on the table.

As for cost: how's free? I can bring it when you schedule that La Frenz party. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed May 10, 2006 9:34 pm

Bill, that post title was catered just for me ... :lol:

I actually haven't had many bretty wines of late - I need to get back on the hunt for Brettanomyces. Jenise's example sounds particularly alluring, though I doubt it'd be a wine that's easy to find in Canada nowadays.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed May 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Hmm, I've never thought brett was excessive - or even common- at Coturri. Would have thought the VA would have killed any brett!
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Thu May 11, 2006 12:53 am

I tasted through the Couturri line about a year ago. Man! What a funky bunch of wines! It's all unsulfited as I recall, and I thought the wines tasted more like science experiments than anything else. There was definitely a lot of stuff growing in there, but I don't recall thinking about brett. I DO recall a ton of VA though.

Someone is coming up to do a Couturri tasting for us in a couple weeks. It'll be interesting to re-taste.

Dave
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 11, 2006 8:19 am

Good luck with the Coturri tasting!

Bill, Olga Raffault's Picasses Chinon generally has some noticable barnyard- not too much for me, but easily identifiable. Haven't had most recent vintages, but the 2001 & 2000 have brett.

Another factor of course is that there are multiple strains of brett, some find some strains tolerable and others abhorrent. Damn these humans!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 11, 2006 9:29 am

Thanks, people.

That seems like a nice samp-ling of wines that are out there for anyone that wants to acquaint themselves with Brett - once you'd experienced it, I doubt you'll forget what it is like.

I'd class myself as a moderate tolerator of brett - I certainly don't seek it out, but I can take a reasonable amount. Any more and I suddenly turn off - and it smacks of unclean winemaking practices. Unless you are a masochist, I can't see enjoying the massive amounts you sometimes get in poorly made wines especially in the Rhone, but in many other places as well.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 am

Jenise..La Frenz party!!!??Sounds interesting, wheres Bob McD?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu May 11, 2006 10:32 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Jenise..La Frenz party!!!??Sounds interesting, wheres Bob McD?

Just worked my way through all of the current release La Frenz whites.

Nice Viognier, good semillon, very interesting Riesling and the killer as far as I was concerned was the small lots Sauvignon Blanc - if you can get it, don't hesitate!!