The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 00 Valtellina Superiore Rainoldi "Inferno"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

WTN: 00 Valtellina Superiore Rainoldi "Inferno"

by Paulo in Philly » Fri May 12, 2006 6:54 pm

Anything that says "Hell" (Inferno) I am either really attracted to or completely turned off. Today I tried a new wine I had never had before. Though I have been going to Italy for 23 years, I still feel humbled by all that is there to discover.

My experience with the nebbiolo grape is very limited, however, time has come to get over myself. The most I had explored from Piemonte was the amazing "Bricco dell'Uccellone" of Braida - a luscious Barbera D'Asti.

My irritation with all that is European is based on the fact that the dollar is shrinking by the minute with the Euro gaining more and more power. How we need to get rid of this anti-Christ who is runnig this country. But enough of offending my Republican wine friends; I am, after all, open to all. Please forgive me for my outburst.

What I get excited about is when I discover a new wine that is indeed very good, but not the most amazing; I learn that my instincts are indeed to be trusted. There are so many wines to taste in this God given life. Praise baby-Buddha!!! How I look forward to more!

I have to emphasize how important it is to know who is making outrageously modern and who still stick to traditional making of wine - for me, it is crucial. This luscious, yet lean, elegant red, balanced beautifully with zingy acidity, full of warm licorice notes, deep black cherry spice on the palate, was a perfect match with my chicken breast/canadian bacon/pepperoncino/broccoli whole wheat pasta, made with fresh tomatoes and garlic. YUMMMMM! How I look forward to the riserva and all of he other wines from that region.

Life is good despite the Euro being high.
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

Re: WTN: 00 Valtellina Superiore Rainoldi "Inferno"

by Paulo in Philly » Fri May 12, 2006 7:37 pm

John D. Zuccarino wrote:Hello Paul
Anything that says "Hell" (Inferno) I am either really attracted to or completely turned off.

Did you feel a bit Devilish after ? :lol:

Oh, certainly. Always devilish!!!

I can't even go there with the brother. I will be in Italy for 3 weeks this summer and I know it is gonna hurt. I should just move there and not come back till this country finally sees what a screwed up situation we are in - but that might be never!

I look forward to hearing what you think about this wine, John. I was pleasantly surprised.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri May 12, 2006 8:28 pm

John,

I would be shocked (in a nice way) if you find an Inferno wine in the Finger Lakes region. I've never seen them here, and I've been drinking them since the 1970s (get them in NYC).

Paulo,

You have good taste--in wine and in politics...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Thomas wrote:Paulo,

You have good taste--in wine and in politics...

Why, thank you, Thomas! I'll drink to that! 8)