The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ruffino wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Ruffino wines

by Jay Labrador » Sat May 13, 2006 12:09 am

Our group was able to get the importer of Ruffino wines to sponsor a dinner so they could showcase their wines.

Ruffino Orvieto 2004 - Very dry and simple. No flavor. Not my type.

Ruffino Libaio Chardonnay 2004 - Lightly oaked? Light. Just OK alone. With food much better. Perfect with the salt cod marinated in the wine and stuffed into a pepper.

Ruffino Chianti Riserva Brown Label 2001 - Good nose. A little hollow. Medium bodied. Quite good.

Ruffino Chianti Riserva Ducale Oro 2000 - Ripe fruit. Quite dry. Long finish. Classy stuff.

Ruffino Modus IGT 2001 - 50% Sangiovese, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot. Nose of violets. Very ripe, deep, smoky. Sophisticated and complex wine. Great stuff and best wine of the night for me.

Ruffino Brunello di Montalcino Greppone Mazzi 1999 - Violets on the nose. Sweet, ripe fruit. Has tannic grip. Seems to be shutting down somewhat. Needs more time but showing quite well.

One of our group claims to have some unpleasant reactions to Sangiovese so she had a Gaja Barbaresco 1993 - Soft in front, tannic finish. Faint nose. Very dry. This wine is fading fast. A disappointment in my opinion.

The Ruffino people seemed pleased enough at how the event turned out as they came away with some orders for the high end stuff.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Ruffino wines

by Jenise » Sun May 14, 2006 11:56 am

Jay, any experience with Ruffino's "Lodola Nuova" and "Santedame"? I acquired some at auction in a batch of Italian orphans, at which time it was new news to me that Ruffino made anything besides the brown and gold labels you mention.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Lodola and Santedame

by Jay Labrador » Sun May 14, 2006 12:13 pm

I have no experience with the Lodola. Is the Santedame you refer to the Chianti or the Romitorio di Santedame? I haven't had the Romitorio Chianti but the Romitorio di Santedame 2000 Super Tuscan is an excellent wine and not yet ready. I had one a few months ago and it needs maybe two more years.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Lodola and Santedame

by Jenise » Sun May 14, 2006 12:39 pm

It's the Chianti, though at the time I bought the lot I thought it was a Super Tuscan. Took me awhile to sort out that there was more than one Santedame.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov