The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Christoffel Gets Screwed!

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 13, 2006 3:02 pm

I received an e-mail from Robert Eymael (who manages both Monchof and Christoffel), and starting with the 2005 vintage, at least the Christoffel QbA and Kabinetts will have Stelvin closures. I don't know about any other pradikats, but this is a good start.

The other bit of data is that he also said to drink up the synthetically closed kabinetts (2002-2004) within the "next months."
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Christoffel Gets Screwed!

by Jenise » Sat May 13, 2006 6:03 pm

drink up the synthetically closed kabinetts (2002-2004) within the "next months."

Is that because there are problems with the synthetic corks?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 pm

David,
are all the Kabinetts synthetic? Because I thought I had some with natural corks. I have some through authorized channels, but most are grey market.
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 13, 2006 6:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Is that because there are problems with the synthetic corks?

Can't speak for Christoffel, or David, but my experience, and abundant testimony from folks I trust, strongly suggests that the synthetics are not proving out for long-term or even medium-term storage. (Not talking about screwcaps here, but the various forms of plastic cork-shaped stoppers.) For light whites to drink up within a year, maybe. But anything over a couple of years past bottling is looking increasingly iffy.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Ok...here's what I know: Some, but not all of the Christoffel Kabinetts from 2002-2004 have synthetic corks. Some have real cork (cold comfort...). The QbA is all synthetic from what I hear. There are no AP number differences from real cork to synthetic cork.

Anyway, the synthetic corked 2002 Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett that was part of a tasting on 4/27 was oxidizing. The 2003 of the same wine (at the same event) was prematurely advanced. BOth came from impeccable channels and my anal retentive storage. Robert Eymael has (in his e-mail...hmm...Eymael sending e-mail) indicated he knows there is a problem with the synthetics. For those who wonder, the Christoffels were under the hard plastic extruded plug type cork. These things suck plain and simple.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm

Chapel Hill, NC

by Rahsaan » Sat May 13, 2006 8:04 pm

The 2003 of the same wine (at the same event) was prematurely advanced.

But the 03 UW spatlese are fine for aging?

I forget if it was synthetic or not..
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 13, 2006 8:41 pm

The spatlese and above are real cork as far as I know.