The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Happy Yogi Berra's Birthday!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Happy Yogi Berra's Birthday!

by Florida Jim » Fri May 12, 2006 10:24 pm

Mine, too.

2004 Tua Rita, Rosso di Notri:
A really good sangiovese blend from a producer that makes some very pricey stuff; structured, balanced, moderate alcohols, little manipulation and a very fine delivery and finish. About $18.

2002 V. Dauvissat, Chablis
Lemon oil and river stones on the nose with nice hints at complexity; the same on the palate with medium weight and fine acidity; good sustain. A very good village wine that has come to a better place since release. About $25.

2002 Barthod, Bourgogne Les Bons Bârtons:
This wine has come a very long way since release; it is now more structured and linear without loss of depth or character; solid fruit from nose to finish with lots of secondary development just getting started. A really superb Bourgogne that is not really up to speed yet. About $22.

2004 de Villaine, Côte Chalonnaise Bourgogne La Digoine:
Gives the impression of a whole cluster fermentation with some herbal/green elements on the nose; very solid and focused fruit on the palate with just a hint of herb, and, a medium length, very balanced finish. Clearly youthful and not showing all that it has – yet still provocative and excellent with dinner. About $25.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Happy Yogi Berra's Birthday!

by Bob Ross » Sat May 13, 2006 12:10 am

Happy Birthday, Jim. :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat May 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Happy Birthday Jim. Breaking out the high end stuff for the celebration I see. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat May 13, 2006 4:18 pm

HAppy Birthday Jim!

Thanks for notes, especially the Barthod, inspires me to more patience (I think I only have one).

best wishes.
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Sun May 14, 2006 4:46 am

Happy Birthday Jim!

Hey, send me an e-mail sometime . . . would enjoy breaking bread and opening corks with you if you still get through this way on occasion.

Especially since we share a 'Chambers Street' sort of palate. And, there's a few other 'CS' palate folks here as well.

Salute -

Mike
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun May 14, 2006 7:57 am

Mike Conner wrote:Happy Birthday Jim!

Hey, send me an e-mail sometime . . . would enjoy breaking bread and opening corks with you if you still get through this way on occasion.

Especially since we share a 'Chambers Street' sort of palate. And, there's a few other 'CS' palate folks here as well.

Salute -

Mike

Conner, you old muckity-mucky, you old so and so, you old (whoops, mixed company) . . . where have you been hiding?
I'll be back in the area later this year and remember that Knoxville is closer than I think - promise.

David, but of course.

My thanks to all for the kind thoughts - I'm sure Yogi would thank you too, if he only rembered what he thought you didn't say.

AFLAC!

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars