The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2006 Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris & 2006 Black Hills Alibi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Macdonald

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

2006 Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris & 2006 Black Hills Alibi

by Bob Macdonald » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:00 pm

Finished off our national holiday long week-end with a couple of nice bottles of Canadian white wine from B.C.'s Okanagan Valley.

Started with the Pinot Gris from Burrowing Owl. One of my favourites from Canada in this dry, light coloured, acidic style similar to those from Blue Mountain and Sandhill.

Just a hint of yellow with lots of subtle ripe melon fruit.

Finished off our pan roasted chicken breast accompanied by lemon and artichoke ricotta and potato ravioli with a bottle of 85/15 or 88/12 Sauv blanc/Semillon blend labelled Alibi from Black Hills.

Virtually colourless. Perhaps just a glint of green. Light, sharp and acidic. Again flavours of ripe melon, lemon, apricot.

I thought I detected pine but my wife who has a much better sense of smell when it comes to descriptors suggested not simply pine but pinapple.

Once suggested I tried it again and she was absolutely right along with even some cherry. Not so much the black cherry one tastes in red wines like chianti but just a faint, almost artificial whiff of cherry like one might find in cherry flavoured candy. It was there and then just as quickly gone.

This was our third bottle and the one I enjoyed the most. Having it with food certainly did make a difference because the first two were almost so big and acidic that they were too much by themselves. Reminded me of New Zealand Jackson Estate and similar big and intense sauv blanc's.

Synthetic cork closure for the Burrowing Owl and screw top for the Alibi.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: 2006 Burrowing Owl Pinot Gris & 2006 Black Hills Alibi

by Randy Buckner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:13 pm

I like BO wines as well -- they do a nice job.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Bob, great post for anyone interested in BC wines!
As an aside, did you know 123st has changed hands? Was just in there looking for roses/rosados, nothing. I asked a girl whats going on, she shrugged her shoulder and went back to polishing her nails!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi Bob,

Nice to see some good Canadian wine tasting notes posted. Sounds like your Canada Day was enjoyable. I was not quite as patriotic as we had a nice California Zin with barbequed pork loin ribs. Nice match though :)
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:06 am

Tom.

Bob is a big fan of Blue Mountain and seems to visit the area there quite a bit. Has lots of time on his hands!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Macdonald

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:03 pm

by Bob Macdonald » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:51 am

I wish I had the "time" and $ to spend more time in the southern Okanagan.

Like Tofino on Vancouver Island, I should have bought 20 years ago....retirement? What retirement? Mind you some of my confreres have said I have been in retirement for years.

Still off topic, yes I did read in Nick Lees' column in the Bistro section of the Edmonton Journal last week that Samantha has sold her store to another of the "chains" and is getting out of retail, taking some wine courses and thinking of a wine bar or something similar in the future.

No decent wine bars and now we may have Tzin [I wish it was double the size] and 4th and Vines and another.

Nick Lees also wrote the Rob Fillipchuk is selling Cristal's [one of the original private wine stores opened by Todd Cristall who is now selling wine in Bedford, N.S. along with I think it is Pete Luckett of "Pete's Frootique" fame] to yet another of the chains/private trusts.

Too bad, more money for Ed & Annabelle and co. I guess.