- 1966 Château Certan de May - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (5/10/2006)
Dark for its age. A very full bodied scent of chocolate, plums, earth and a touch of tomato. The palate is full bodied, still robust and tannic, but balanced by sweet fruit and high but ripe and juicy acidity. Very good. Lacked a little in the elegance department, but a very fine wine.
- 1966 Château de Pez - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (5/10/2006)
Very dark colour - no orange. The nose also seemed much younger. It had a touch of bottle stink, but then came cassis, and some dung. It was a bit foursquare but was a very pleasurable little wine. The palate was still tannic and fleshy, also a bit inelegant and foursquare but long. Good.
- 1966 Château Soutard - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (5/10/2006)
Corked. Bummer. NR (flawed)
- 1973 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (5/10/2006)
Orange, very evolved. The nose wasn't at all as evolved seeming as the colour though fully mature of course. The nose was lovely and sweetly fruity with some meaty/salami tones. The palate had sweet fruit with no hint of it drying up, lovely high acidity, fine weight and persistency. Very good. Exceeded all expectations as the vintage isn't highly regarded and the level was mid-shoulder.
- 1978 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/10/2006)
Fairly dark. The nose was softly fruity and earthy, even a little raisiny - classic, but seemingly younger than it should have been. The palate was quite tannic and fruity, a bit young. Savoury and cried out for food. Very good.
- 1979 Château Batailley - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (5/10/2006)
Orageish, evolved colour. A softly fruity nose with plenty of cedar notes, a little earthy. The palate is rather full bodied, finely balanced, even robust, sweetly fruity. Fully mature of course and certainly time to drink it up. Good.
- 1998 Château du Tertre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (5/10/2006)
Fairly dark. The nose had initially lovely amounts of dung which disappeared with swirling (pity!). It had cassis, earth and a sweetness almost reminiscent of strawberry. The palate was quite acidic, very savoury, not as tannic as most 98s in my experience have been. Quite lovely and complex.
- 2002 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (5/10/2006)
Dark. The nose has lots of blueberry and cassis and oak. The palate is very fruity but gladly not overly sweet, and very savoury and with decent acidity and high tannins - but it is just packed too full of everything. Not an enjoyable experience for me. Utterly lacking the elegance I want in wine.
- 2002 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (5/10/2006)
Slightly gold. The nose is lovely young Sauternes but with a bit less botrytis than expected: sea shells, glue, apricot. The palate is very sweet and intense, and has superb acidity backing it up keeping it from becoming cumbersome. Excellent.
- N.V. Hatten Wines Alexandria - Indonesia, Bali (5/10/2006)
Made from the Belgia -grape. The nose is pleasantly fresh with lovely sea-salt aromas and very Muscatty. The palate is slightly sweet, light, balanced by fine acidity. Not a great wine, but pefectly drinkable - even enjoyable!
Posted from CellarTracker