The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Metaquestion: are TNs still archived on this board ? (e)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jude Fisher

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 am

Seville, Spain

Metaquestion: are TNs still archived on this board ? (e)

by Jude Fisher » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:19 am

EMPTY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

What does "archived" mean? :)

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:37 am

Jude, first, to cut to the chase: It is my intention that TNs posted to any iteration of the WLDG in any of our locations over the years be preserved as part of a permanent collection. Anyone who posts a wine-tasting report can do so in confidence that it's our intent to keep it available - and to do so wherever our nomadic travels may take us, as long as the sponsoring entity (me) is around to do it.

Now, specifically: The convention of having posts starting with TN be cross-posted as HTML files in a separate searchable archive was unique to the earlier WLDG software, hand-written by the developer. We don't have that here. However, *all* posts in this forum are saved to a searchable archive. Before we get to the point where we have to start thinking about pruning older posts, I'm hoping that among us we can come up with a way to ensure that TNs are saved.

Ditto TN posts to the Netscape Forum; Bob Ross and a few others have been working on a venture to copy them over to the WLP archive by one means or another, even if it requires manual intervention.

Ideally, I'd like to see all the TNs from all the forums end up in one centrally searchable archive. In a separate direction, RR and others have long been dreaming of a more competent data format system that we could use to plug in TNs directly.

Lots of possibilities. Most of them depend on some practical dreamers in this group coming up with ideas and volunteering to honcho them, frankly. But the bottom line is still the bottom line: It's our intent to treat all TNs as permanent archival material.
no avatar
User

Jude Fisher

Rank

Cellar rat

Seville, Spain

Re: What does "archived" mean? :)

by Jude Fisher » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Randy R wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:In a separate direction, RR and others have long been dreaming of a more competent data format system that we could use to plug in TNs directly.

Important note: Jude is a gifted developer and any ideas he has should be immediately sent back to him with a PostIt saying: "Sure, do it!"

Still waiting for that new killer style, Jude... Juuuuude?

I would be working on it but a wonderful client has just asked me for a quote on this convoluted Flash / PHP / Gaffer Tape system and....
no avatar
User

Jude Fisher

Rank

Cellar rat

Seville, Spain

Re: What does "archived" mean? :)

by Jude Fisher » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:42 am

Randy R wrote:
Jude Fisher wrote:I would be working on it but a wonderful client has just asked me for a quote on this convoluted Flash / PHP / Gaffer Tape system and....

You do GT? Great, I didn't dare ask about that! I ordered the new Complete Guide to Gaffer Tape Security from O'Reilly but unfortunately it's been out of print for 42 years. You got a download link for the PDF?

I only do object oriented gaffer taping, though. Systems gaffer taped before oop didn't actually work at all - any functions computed correctly where just random lucky strikes and should not be considered. This includes the moon landings.