The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

$300/bottle futures

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

$300/bottle futures

by Howard » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:51 pm

Just one of those shake my head and wonder what this wine tastes like moments because I'll never taste it. Here's another breathless flyer I received this morning. I'm just posting it because... well... um, I'm not sure why. It's just that I guess I'm a little envious that I'll never in my life taste some of what some people consider the greatest wines in the world. And I suppose there isn't anywhere on earth where someone might understand that sense of wistfulness other than here.

There are no official scores yet for the 2004 wines of Angelo Gaja, however, all you need to see is Antonio Galloni's and James Suckling's quotes below and you will want to purchase them...

"In short, it is hard to get excited about the 2003 Barbarescos for many reasons, not the least of which is the phenomenal quality of the 2004s. At virtually every property I visited I had the opportunity to taste the 2004s and simply put, they are remarkable. It is an abundant vintage in both Barolo and Barbaresco but qualityminded producers who diligently limited yields made exceptional wines. As in Barolo, producers in Barbaresco continue to improve through experience and for many estates the 2004s are shaping up to be the best wines they have ever made."-Antonio Galloni, The Wine Advocate

"For all his success, the admirable Angelo Gaja remains fanatically committed to excellence, and because of that he is Piedmont's reference point, as well as an inspiration to many of the young growers just beginning to estate bottle their wines."-Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate

"Nebbiolo lovers are going to want to buy 2004. I promise."-James Suckling, The Wine Spectator

2004 Gaja Sori San Lorenzo
36 btls available
Grapes Sale Price: $299/btl

2004 Gaja Sori Tildin
36 btls available

2004 Gaja Costa Russi
36 btls available

2004 Gaja Barbaresco
72 btls available
Grapes Sale Price: $165/btl

Wine is offered subject remaining and to final confirmation.
Wines are offered as a future arrival as they have not been released yet.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: $300/bottle futures

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Well, at least it's a legendary, proven-quality producer and not one of those California upstarts designed for maximum Parker points!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:04 pm

I thought Gaja was Italian for "Parker Points?" :)

Howard, with very few exceptions, all of us have wines that are priced way beyond our price range. Heck, Daniel probably sends out an email a day with a wine I can't afford! I have tasted a few Gajas. Everyone's tastes vary, but for my palate most post '88 Gajas aren't the wines I spend time wishing I could afford.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Dale, could be true! I honestly pay no attention to that sector of the market (like you, that's a league I don't play in), and most of the Gajas I've had (in the early 90's we had a friend who was crazy about them) would have been '80's. They're frozen in my memory as they were at that time.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:01 pm

At least if we do ever get it it would most likely be an enjoyable bottle. Then you have the 2006 Petrus release price of somewhere between $1999.99 to $2500 a bottle............come on...you've gotta be kind'in. At least I know that these are W A A A Y Y Y Y Y outta my price category and even if they were good, I would never be wistful for them.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:48 pm

Galloni certainly has come up in the world.

It's been quite a step up from attending my humble Barolostock a few years back.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Michael K wrote:At least if we do ever get it it would most likely be an enjoyable bottle. Then you have the 2006 Petrus release price of somewhere between $1999.99 to $2500 a bottle............come on...you've gotta be kind'in. At least I know that these are W A A A Y Y Y Y Y outta my price category and even if they were good, I would never be wistful for them.

I'll certainly never taste an '82 Petrus, a '47 Cheval Blanc, etc. And I've accepted I'll certainly never taste ANY vintage of Le Pin, DRC Romanee Conti, or probably Jayer Cros Parantoux. But I agree, no wistfulness needed!
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Good thing the flyer wasn't about burgundy. Nebbiolo envy is easier to discuss than pinot envy. Or something.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:46 am

Then you have the 2006 Petrus release price of somewhere between $1999.99 to $2500

I spent $400 on a bottle of 86 Petrus when the going rate was twice that...pristeen bottle, but the wine itself was quite mediocre. That cured me!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:57 am

Howard wrote:
2004 Gaja Barbaresco
72 btls available
Grapes Sale Price: $165/btl

Oh come now, there's one that's quite affordable! :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Oh come now, there's one that's quite affordable! :?

And you've already ordered your six-pack?