The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Elderton Shiraz 1996

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Elderton Shiraz 1996

by Bruce Hayes » Fri May 19, 2006 7:59 am

Barossa.

Decanted.

Medium-dark cherry red.

Sweet oak and spices on the nose.

Thick and weighty in the mouth (almost semi-solid), quite rich, cherry and raspberry fruit, red licorice, good acidity, with some heat toward the end.

Very long finish with spicy and sweet fruit and a bit of alcohol.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Elderton Shiraz 1996

by Jenise » Fri May 19, 2006 12:46 pm

It didn't have any jammy, overripe flavors? I'm thinking that 96 was a pretty hot year--and the Barossa's pretty hot most of the time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Fri May 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Yes, should have mentioned jammy as well. Not overripe, although I can certainly see how others might disagree with me.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Yeah, 'jammy' is definitely a beauty-in-the-eye of the beholder thing. To my tastes, jammy IS overripe but I can see where others would disagree. I found that quality in the few Commands I've had, but they were all from the so-called better vintages. This is probably one of those wines that I personally prefer in the less-ideal climate conditions.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Fri May 19, 2006 3:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Yeah, 'jammy' is definitely a beauty-in-the-eye of the beholder thing. To my tastes, jammy IS overripe but I can see where others would disagree. I found that quality in the few Commands I've had, but they were all from the so-called better vintages. This is probably one of those wines that I personally prefer in the less-ideal climate conditions.

I stay away from "jammy" as much as possible as it overwhelms me and gives me a dull, low stomach feeling. There is nothing more depressing than opening a bottle of a wine I have enjoyed in previous vintages, only to find that the producer went goopy, or the vintage drastically changed the wine, as with my recent experience with Allegrini's 2003 Valpolicella.