Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What to do with leftover buttermilk or oatmeal?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

What to do with leftover buttermilk or oatmeal?

by CMMiller » Sat May 20, 2006 4:33 pm

I bought a quart of buttermilk. Done the pancakes, done the buttermilk batter fried chicken. What else can I do with buttermilk?

Also, our family's oatmeal appetite is unpredictable. Sometimes there is about a cup or two of oatmeal left over from breakfast (unsweetened). Are there any savory dishes using oatmeal? Can I make cookies or muffins with mushy leftover oatmeal?

Thanks in advance,
Christian
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

Re: What to do with leftover buttermilk or oatmeal?

by bgbarcus » Sat May 20, 2006 4:39 pm

Try using buttermilk in mashed potatoes and buttermilk is as necessary for biscuits as it is pancakes. Buttermilk also goes in waffles. Other than that I can't think of anything else - those uses already make hard to keep enough on hand.

As for the leftover oatmeal, got any masonry that needs patched?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat May 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Here's a Quaker Oats recipe for a type of cookie/cake that works with cooked oatmeal; they recommend the recipe for either instant or regular oatmeal. I dislike instant oatmeal, but it has been pre-cooked, so this recipe works well with cooked oatmeal.

2-3/4 C old fashioned oatmeal, uncooked
2/3 C brown sugar [I use much less, perhaps 1/4 C, or maple syrup, a TBSP for flavor]
3/4 C raisins and/or dried cranberries (substitute other dried fruits)
1 apple, peeled and sliced (substitute other fresh fruits - optional)
1/4 to 1/3 C nuts, chopped (walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, hazelnuts..., or even better a mix of all - optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt [You may not need any if the oatmeal is salted.]
3-1/3 C milk [cut back the milk if the oatmeal is cooked -- 2 cups may be enough]
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

(Serves 8.)

Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F). Lightly oil an 13 by 9-inch baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, raisins, chopped nuts, cinnamon and salt. Mix well. In a medium bowl, combine the oatmeal, milk, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add this to the larger bowl and mix until well blended.

Pour the mixture into the baking dish, and make sure the solids are more or less evenly spread out. Arrange the apple slices over the surface.

Put in the oven to bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until the center is set and firm to the touch. Let cool slightly.

You might want to check for doneness after 45 minutes or so. You can hold left over oatmeal for two or three days to get enough to make these cookies.

I like this recipe because of all the substitutions that are possible -- a rent a kid came up with a chocolate chip version of this cookie that was delicious.

Another idea: I sometimes make a pancake from left over oatmeal and sautee it lightly until a nice crust forms on both sides. Serve with maple syrup and butter.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat May 20, 2006 8:27 pm

Oatmeal can be added as a filler (no more than 25%) to meatloaf or meatballs or even breakfast sausage.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 21, 2006 9:40 am

CMMiller wrote:I bought a quart of buttermilk. Done the pancakes, done the buttermilk batter fried chicken. What else can I do with buttermilk?

Scones. Biscuits. Waffles.

Freeze it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 21, 2006 5:08 pm

How about cornbread? From Gourmet magazine:

BUTTERMILK SCALLION SKILLET CORN BREAD

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
6 scallions
2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or rendered bacon fat
4 large eggs
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425° F. Melt butter and cool. Finely chop scallions. Into a bowl sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Heat a dry well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet in middle of oven 10 minutes. Put shortening or bacon fat in skillet and heat 5 minutes. Swirl skillet to coat. While skillet is heating, make batter: Separate eggs. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat yolks until pale and beat in butter and buttermilk. In a bowl with cleaned beaters beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Stir flour mixture into yolk mixture and fold in whites and scallions gently but thoroughly. Pour batter into hot skillet and, working quickly, spread evenly. Bake corn bread in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Corn bread may be made 4 hours ahead and kept, loosely covered, at room temperature.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
CMMiller wrote:I bought a quart of buttermilk. Done the pancakes, done the buttermilk batter fried chicken. What else can I do with buttermilk?

Scones. Biscuits. Waffles.

Freeze it.

I second the scones!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

by bgbarcus » Sun May 21, 2006 7:35 pm

Jenise wrote:How about cornbread? From Gourmet magazine:

I forgot about cornbread when I replied. Buttermilk is much better in regular cornbread than milk and this recipe looks exceptionally good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 21, 2006 7:46 pm

this recipe looks exceptionally good.

Doesn't it? I haven't made it, but it's one I saved for the next time I was in Christian's situation, which in fact I am right now. And one more 'in fact': I'll bet it would be spectacular, however untraditional, with the southern-style cassoulet I'm making for dinner. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

California

by CMMiller » Sun May 21, 2006 8:13 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Here's a Quaker Oats recipe for a type of cookie/cake that works with cooked oatmeal ...

Regards, Bob

Thanks, this sounds good.
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

California

by CMMiller » Sun May 21, 2006 8:15 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Oatmeal can be added as a filler (no more than 25%) to meatloaf or meatballs or even breakfast sausage.

We don't make meatloaf, but I'm thinking the same principal could be applied to cabbage stuffed with ground meat or sausage...
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

California

by CMMiller » Sun May 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Jenise wrote:How about cornbread? From Gourmet magazine:

BUTTERMILK SCALLION SKILLET CORN BREAD

Oh, this sounds good. Maybe grate some cheddar into it too. Thanks,
Christian
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 22, 2006 8:10 am

It's probably an old southern farmboy thing, but I like buttermilk as a beverage. I take a glass of very cold B-milk, salt and heavily pepper it, and have it with my meal. I used to do this as a kid much more than now, because we churned our own butter and had the milk as a by product. I also like to crumble some left over cornbread into the salted/peppered buttermilk and eat it with a spoon for a snack. Good stuff!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Taze Rowe

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:33 pm

by Taze Rowe » Tue May 23, 2006 9:37 am

In the newer Indian cookbook Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Alford and Duguid there is a buttermilk curry. Essentially you toast some spices (I recall cumin, mustard, tumeric, maybe corriander seeds) and then add buttermilk. After a few minutes, you have a thin but flavorful curry. Not mind-blowing, but an alternative to the usual.