The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Would you share your wine with a fly?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Would you share your wine with a fly?

Yes (I'm male)
51%
Maybe (male)
14%
No (male)
5%
Yes (female)
18%
Maybe (female)
3%
No (female)
4%
Other/Can't answer as stated (discuss)
4%

Total votes : 76
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Would you share your wine with a fly?

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:14 am

I'm with most of the rest of the guys. A fruit fly or two is no problem whatsoever. Houseflies are a different issue altogether.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Noga

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:31 pm

by Paul Noga » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:19 pm

I voted yes, but it somewhat depends on the bug. Gnats and smaller creatures are flicked out of the glass. If a palmetto bug plopped in, I might have second thoughts.
no avatar
User

Kirk Arnott

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

Columbus, Ohio

by Kirk Arnott » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:31 pm

I'm male and, yes, I would. I rationalize that the alcohol would kill whatever god-awful stuff the fly is carrying. Now if one got caught in the last few drops, I'd probably just toss it.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm surprised that no one has questioned the premise that flies are dirty. Where is the evidence, folks? Yes, you've seen them clustering on various unsavory items, but just like cockroaches I expect that they're fairly fasitidious about personal hygiene, probably more so than most humans. I'd guess that the bacterial ecology of the wine glass itself isn't appreciably different from what you'd find on the fly. And, yes, I'd also expect the wine to take care of any bacteria or viruses that come from the fly.

Not that rational thought has much to do with people's reaction to insects in most instances...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 pm

Mark, it's worth mentioning that the common house fly can carry diseases; including typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, and anthrax.

County agents here in New Jersey teach the same cautions that I learned from them in Wisconsin many years ago. For example,

Filth flies often feed and lay eggs on garbage, manure and carrion before contaminating human foods and food preparation surfaces by landing on them. When feeding, house flies regurgitate their stomach contents onto food to liquefy it before ingesting it. They also may contaminate food and surfaces by defecating on them.

More details from the Illinois Department of Public Health at, for example, [url=http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcfilthflies.htm]this site.

[/url]
no avatar
User

Paula Sindberg

Rank

Just got here

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:53 am

Marlow, Bucks., UK

by Paula Sindberg » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 pm

He won't drink much and the alcohol will kill anything harmful - LOL!! Just keep sipping. :lol: javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Paula Sindberg
The Ultimate Wine Company Ltd
8 Millbank, Mill Road
Marlow, Bucks. SL7 1UA
United Kingdom
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:03 pm

I voted Yes for me, but also put a vote in as Yes (female) as the brains of the operation is very clear that in these situations it's her wine and no fly is going to lay claim to it.

On the subject of Cockroaches, I almost got the chance to eat one in Kakadu, Northern Territory (Australia). The Aussie ones smell like almond/marzipan when scared and apparently they taste the same when cooked. Someone 'liberated' the beast before it made it near the barbecue though :roll: I guess it would have to go some to beat the green-bottomed ants though, which are still the most refreshing thing I've ever tasted.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 pm

"Just keep sipping."

Welcome, Paula -- great to see a new name here.

And, I love the thought, and try to emulate it every single day. :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Don Grogg

Rank

Just got here

Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:51 am

Cypress, Texas

by Don Grogg » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:58 pm

From wine drinking/fishing trips from the Amazon Basin to the Kenai Penisula to the Jungles of costa Rica there are lots of flying critters out there. Whether or not I would pour it out would depend on: 1. The value of the wine. 2. The ability to refill the glass with the same or better. 3. And how long had the party been going on when it happened.
no avatar
User

RandyJ

Rank

Just got here

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:15 pm

by RandyJ » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:08 pm

I bartended for about 20 years down here in New Orleans, and anybody who ever has, knows that it is almost impossible to keep fruit flies out of some of the liquor bottles. Mostly the bourbon. You get over it.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:21 pm

RandyJ wrote:I bartended for about 20 years down here in New Orleans, and anybody who ever has, knows that it is almost impossible to keep fruit flies out of some of the liquor bottles. Mostly the bourbon. You get over it.

Excellent! Welcome both of you to the forum! We need some bartenders around here. Heck we could use any sane people around here.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm

This joke works better orally than in written form but:

Have you heard about the termite who walked into the bar and asked "Is the bartender here"
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:46 pm

:?: :?: :?:

:idea:

:D
no avatar
User

Jackson Brooke

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:45 pm

by Jackson Brooke » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:05 pm

I'm not going to pretend that flies are fantastic, however as a winemaker I have seen what occasionally gets accidentally crushed (and not necessarily removed during fermentation :roll:, and I think flies are not the biggest concern, therefore, remove from the wine - Yes, then drink away.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Welcome Randy -- you've got a great deal of experience in the drinks world, it appears -- I don't remember another bartender with your experience on the site.

Chime in whenever you feel like doing so.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:40 pm

Bob Ross,
Like your use of the emoticons.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:20 pm

I've voted maybe, because, like others have pointed out, it depends on the size of the fly. I've flicked fruit flies out of the glass but if a house fly or blow fly landed in my glass (and they only way they'd do that would be if they were woozy from fly spray or sick or dying) then I'd definitely tip the icky contents out.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:42 pm

I shall draw the line at Scorpions.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

bengigli

Rank

Just got here

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:02 pm

by bengigli » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 pm

With a Gnat or Mosquito , but very reluctantly with a Dragon Fly .
no avatar
User

Michael Grossman

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Los Angeles

by Michael Grossman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:54 pm

Not a problem for me. No reason to throw the bathwater out with the baby, fly that is. :)
Last edited by Michael Grossman on Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:53 am

Flies, and doubtless a lot worse, get into the wine even before fermentation. I read that there have been vine infestations so bad that the bugs actually affected the flavour of the finished product. So I see no logic in a 5 or 10 second rule.

Is there a statistician in the house? My stats are a bit rusty now, but from a quick eyeballing of the poll results I'd say there are no significant gender differences.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:55 am

I'm with you, Randy: among regular posters, females are a significant minority. We must have a lot more lady lurkers than we realize.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:31 pm

I cannot contain my outrage any longer. I am deeply offended by this post and all its ramifications. This is a clear insult to all gender-conflicted and alternative lifestyle people in the world. Or at least the wine world. Or at least this board.

Where are the slots for transgender people? Don't they get a vote? Don't they have a say in this? Why are we ignoring them as if they don't exist?

What if you're confused or conflicted about your sexual orientation? Shouldn't there, at the very least, be an "I'm not quite sure" or a "I'm a woman trapped in a man's body" or "I can't afford the surgery but I know I'm a woman whether I have a prominent Adam's Apple and excess body hair and a really deep voice or not."

And let's not forget the bi-sexuals either!!! Sure, they're not so much conflicted as they are interested in getting action from both sides (and maybe at the same time!). I mean, that's hot! Just think about... oh, sorry, got a little off track there.

Anyway, you get my point. Where's the outrage?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:37 pm

steve.slatcher wrote:Flies, and doubtless a lot worse, get into the wine even before fermentation. I read that there have been vine infestations so bad that the bugs actually affected the flavour of the finished product. So I see no logic in a 5 or 10 second rule.

Is there a statistician in the house? My stats are a bit rusty now, but from a quick eyeballing of the poll results I'd say there are no significant gender differences.

If you ever had the distinct pleasure of tasting Ontario wines from a few vintages back, during the famous Ladybug infestation, you'd definitely sense the presence of bugs in wine. Every time we'd come across one in competitions it was immediately known---smelled exactly like peanut butter, oddly enough. Not nuanced, mind you, or a mere whiff, but like sticking your nose down into a jar of Jif.

Yep, from first hand experience I can tell you it's amazing sometimes how much insect and animal matter manages to find it's way into the old fermentation vat. Flying and crawling insects, arachnoids of varied types, snakes, field critters, birds...like making sausages: people usually don't want to know. :D
PreviousNext