The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Portal do Fidalgo Alvarinho 2005

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 am

There is a note on the bottle (which is a pretty, deep amber color) that says the sub-region is De Moncao.

The color of the bottle is in stark contrast to the color of the wine, which is a very pale lemon w/ tints of green.

Smells of warm stones before swirling, then some stone fruit, maybe apricot, emerges afterwards, as well as some herbal scents.

Good acidity, limes and mineral, it seemed to pay attention to each part of my palate - slightly fizzy feel on the front and middle/sides, and a smooth mineral exit that hangs around for a while.

Nice wine, would have liked to have tried it w/ seafood. $16.99 at Rodmans, I think you could probably find a comparable wine for a few bucks less.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: Portal do Fidalgo Alvarinho 2005

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am

K Story wrote:Nice wine, would have liked to have tried it w/ seafood. $16.99 at Rodmans, I think you could probably find a comparable wine for a few bucks less.

Well done, K! Very clear and descriptive, and it sounds like a decent example of Alvarinho ... Vinho Verde on steroids!
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Portal do Fidalgo Alvarinho 2005

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Very good, sounds like a white I would enjoy!