The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's with Yellow Tail??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: What's with Yellow Tail??

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:26 pm

AB, there are plenty of good wines in NM. You just didn't pick one of them!
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 pm

Yeah, Cynthia, I can imagine :) I'm sure that the Blue Teal Riesling is not nearly indicative of the great wines that NM offers. I'm really anxious to try some at the ABQ festival!!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:08 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:AB, there are plenty of good wines in NM. You just didn't pick one of them!

Gruet Bubbly just plain rocks, dude!

When is the YT tasting? I would love to join in if I haven't missed it. Though I don't drink anymore I am happy to spit and then dump a cheap bottle.
rwj
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 am

Robert J. wrote:When is the YT tasting? I would love to join in if I haven't missed it.

Tomorrow evening-ish; be glad to have ya!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:20 am

Also, A.B, don't fret over posting your notes. Everybody has different taste buds and it can take a while to learn what some of those aroma/flavors compare to.

"Smells kinda like grass or weeds" can easily translate into "Hints of white pepper and tomato vine". Or you could try "Wow, that smells like the dust I sweep from under my bed" to "An earthy, complex wine exhibiting aromas of fungi, earth, decaying leaves on the seventh layer of forest floor, wet hay on a foggy morning in a dew-laden barnyard, and an ever-so-subtle hint of salted leather".

I mean, so much of tasting notes is just crafty, descriptive prose. These days I am more honest (and I am far from pro). If I am with a group of friends and a wine smells like poo or cat's piss then I say so (and this doesn't mean that it is a bad wine). Likewise if it smells like green apples, tar, petroleum, whole-wheat toast, or whatever. Just go with what you taste/smell.

rwj
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

Thank you, Robert--very insightful; I look forward to having you with us tomorrow, should be a good learning experience :)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am

A.B. Drury wrote:
Robert J. wrote:When is the YT tasting? I would love to join in if I haven't missed it.

Tomorrow evening-ish; be glad to have ya!

Yellow Tail Reisling? I should be able to get it at work. I know that we have Dr. L. I can get that too. I'll be able to post notes around 8 or 9 in the evening.

rwj
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:28 am

YT Riesling it is! I looked for the Dr. L around here, but to no avail. It's imported by a company in ABQ, but I'm pretty far from there. See ya tomorrow!

BTW, I'm jealous of your locale--I love Austin :)
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:30 am

This will be fun. Next time you are in ATX drop me a line.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:55 am

Good to see that the YT saga is progressing along nicely!! I have just unwrapped my bottle, no screwcap. Interesting.
The storeclerk wanted to sell me the shiraz but I explained I did not drink red wines! LOL. It was a real sleazy joint too.
Guess we can post our TNs here, so Wednesday night then?

Bob P
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:01 am

Wednesday night it is; looks like we're all in close time zones, too--for the sake of interaction. . . .
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:03 am

Here are my impressions of the `05 Dr Loosen Riesling, posted last year.

WTN: `05 Dr. Loosen Riesling QbA Dr. L---Middle Mosel, Germany.

Screw cap, 8.5% alc. AP Nr 2 907 805 0806.

Colour. Tiny bubbles in the glass, pale straw with very light brownish tinges. Nothing in the way of legs here, seems lively.

Nose. Fresh floral, pear, minerally/slate. Fellow taster thought "has nice delicacy and bouquet of flowers". After an hour, lots of peach over the pear and almost a sorbet quality. Nice!

Palate. My initial mouthfeel entry (ie my first impression) was frizzante and pear dominant.. Nice acid balance and a tangy lingering aftertaste. Obviously meant to be drunk young, refreshing and not flabby. The ripeness could appeal to a few here (I have a sweet tooth), fellow taster found "pear, peach, clean and fresh". I tried to figure out the tropical fruits, maybe pineapple and papaya?
I think this is a good wine to start off WOTM and new members will hopefully enjoy. Serve it nicely chilled but do not let the ice bucket take over, fruit will be killed!

*** after 24 hrs (vacu-vin seal), more citrus on the finish, not too racy still. Did not lose anything overnight!! The juicy pear is still there.
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:08 am

Legs? Flabby? WOTM? I need a translator :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 am

Wine legs are no longer part of my terminology since Jenise sorted me out!!

WOTM is Wine of the month.

http://wine.about.com/od/winebasic1/a/winelegs.htm
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 am

Randy R wrote:
Robert J. wrote:A"Wow, that smells like the dust I sweep from under my bed" to "An earthy, complex wine exhibiting aromas of fungi, earth, decaying leaves on the seventh layer of forest floor, wet hay on a foggy morning in a dew-laden barnyard, and an ever-so-subtle hint of salted leather".

Well said, Robert! Except, you shouldn't salt your leather.

I only salt my leather when I need to keep Satan at bay.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 am

A.B. Drury wrote:Legs? Flabby? WOTM? I need a translator :lol:

When you swirl the wine in a glass the alcohol will leave a residue that falls down the side of the glass. This residue looks like drops falling and can be referred to as legs or tears. A very light wine like a riesling will not leave much residual alcohol on the side of the glass (typically a low alcohol wine). On the other hand, a weighty Bordeaux or Cotes du Rhone will leave tears that fall aplenty and very slowly.

To me, flabby has always described a wine that just doesn't do much in the mouth; something that has no real finish or aftertaste.

WOTM = Wine of the Month.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:52 pm

Yikes! We don't have YT Riesling here at Central Market. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow. If I can't find it is there another riesling that I can put into the tasting?

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Robert, I think the whole purpose is to help AB set about writing a TN to gain more experience. Any pointer towards his education would be appreciated (grin)!!! He seems to have tasted some other rieslings, without writing notes, so something from you would be nice.
How about Dr Loosen?..or something else from land of Oz.

edit. Robert, Wolf Blass might work here.
Last edited by Bob Parsons Alberta on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:28 pm

Flabby is generally used as a pejorative term to describe a wine that the taster feels is too low in acidity.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:16 pm

Say what you like and don't like about the wine. I find that more useful (if less entertaining) than fanciful flights of "I Spy" : then I tasted the tang of slightly over-ripe Spanish lemons picked by left-handed virgins and placed out in the early spring sunshine, in an oaken bowl, for two and half hours.

Or just drop some current popular buzz-phrases about complexity, layers of flavor or 45 second finishes. BTW you won't find many notes of this ilk here.

Keep it honest. I personally like to know how the bottle was treated--decanted, opened how long, serving temperature--and what the food match was. Good luck.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Gosh, I'd love to join you all in this experience tomorrow evening, but I will be in WLDG Chat at the appointed hour. (That's a hint..... you could all drop by and talk about this....... 8) )
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Robert, try Walgreen's or, GASP . . . Wal-Mart--between those two you should be able to score a bottle of YT. Yes, the comedy here is that this stuff is available at either of the Wal-stores :lol:

Thanks for the advice, Dan!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Welcome to WLDG, A.B. Where abouts in NM do you live??
YellowTail is, to me, much like 2$Chuck. It's rather on the boring side. It really doesn't have a lot to say to me. I once tried it w/ a meal a yr ago & managed to get down one glass, but just couldn't bring myself to have a 2nd glass and opened something a bit more interesting. It's not bad wine, per se. It just doesn't have much interest to me. That being said, I must admit that I've not tried the most recent Lot #3791, so can't speak w/ any authority.
Tom
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

NM / KY

Re: Well....

by A.B. Drury » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Clovis, NM; far east, about half-way up the Texas panhandle. . . . Yeah, we're just having a little fun with this, I don't expect to love or hate it, "indifferent" will likely be my one-word summary :)
PreviousNext