Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pimientos de Padron

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

Pimientos de Padron

by John DeFiore » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:39 am

Hey, Jenise, are you growing them this year? I've started my seeds already and the cute little guys are already an inch or so tall. Last year the plants produced until about mid-December, but at a drastically reduced yeild from the summer peak. I'll plant them outside in early April. Interestingly because of the moderate climate here in the Bay Area, my Padrones never got hot (spicy). I think it takes a fair amount of 90+ degree days to get the occasional spicy one.

Regards,

John
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Pimientos de Padron

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:37 pm

John, I have my seeds! It's a bit cold at night here, but I could start them indoors right about now for planting mid-April. Thanks for the nudge -- I'll pick up potting soil today.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:47 pm

John,
I spoke with a lady who used to farm, up until last year, and was always at the Farmer's Market. She told me to saturate my pepper seeds with sea kelp in paper toweling and let them sprout in the towel. She said to watch closely and when the little tail appears out of the seed to transfer it to the seedling container. Otherwise, she felt they take too long to sprout. Have you ever heard of this method?
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 pm

I spoke with a lady who used to farm, up until last year, and was always at the Farmer's Market. She told me to saturate my pepper seeds with sea kelp in paper toweling and let them sprout in the towel. She said to watch closely and when the little tail appears out of the seed to transfer it to the seedling container. Otherwise, she felt they take too long to sprout. Have you ever heard of this method?

Hi Karen!

Good to hear from you- I haven't heard of that method, though last year the seeds did take forever (3 weeks) to sprout. This year I used a heat mat under the egg-crate style seed starter that I'm using and I had a bunch of sprouts in less than a week. The kelp method sounds interesting though, I'll have to give it a try next year.

Regards,

John
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

WHA-HOO

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:03 pm

I just checked my seeds, and four of the little darlings are coming up. I had to cut the plastic sheet off of one of my planting squares because green is showing on the baby and it had hit the plastic. It really wants out into the world.
I bought one of those egg carton things at OSH, it was pre-planted with soil. I put in on a heat mat as you suggested, seven days ago! I planted 6 of the holes with three seeds each.
Should I put a desk/task type lamp over the plants when they all come up and I take the plastic off? We are having strange weather, rain just won't go away, and it is gloomy all day long.
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

CA Bay Area

Sounds good....

by John DeFiore » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Hi Karen,

We're having the same awful weather here in the Bay Area. Can't wait for the rain to stop, but it sounds like it won't for a while. Anyway I think the desk lamp is a good idea. I start mine in my plant room, which has a lot of sunlight normally but very little these days so I'm using a flourescent overhead light to supplement. My plants are getting to a good size for planting, so I'm hoping that the swamp that I used to call a garden dries out soon.....

John