The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: Open Mike: Chardonnay

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 pm

D'Istinto Catarratto-Chardonnay 2005
Calatrasi
IGT Sicilia

Viscous, rich pear, orange, lightly spiced, nicely crisp, well balanced slightly sweet oak. A very classy wine.

A long oaky finish.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:16 pm

Tim, I learn something new everyday. Your report on Chard from Belgium most surprising, any hope of the PN?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:55 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Bumping up your St Veran mark as I have just opened the `06. Need to let it breathe a bit.

Well...??? Inquiring minds, and all that :D

Mark Lipton

Mark, how much oak is this wine seeing? I am wondering if the `06 has seen any. I am also interested to know if you bought your `05 up towards room temp cos my `06 was better when not too chilled. To be honest, I am not too keen on my rendition. I did find the chalk on the nose as well as the palate but could have used a tad more ripe fruit. Will post tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:22 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
Bumping up your St Veran mark as I have just opened the `06. Need to let it breathe a bit.

Well...??? Inquiring minds, and all that :D

Mark Lipton

Mark, how much oak is this wine seeing? I am wondering if the `06 has seen any. I am also interested to know if you bought your `05 up towards room temp cos my `06 was better when not too chilled. To be honest, I am not too keen on my rendition. I did find the chalk on the nose as well as the palate but could have used a tad more ripe fruit. Will post tomorrow.

Bob,
I'd guess that it's getting at least 20% new oak, but not a whole lot more. There was some oakiness evident in my bottle of the '05, but it wasn't very overt (and I'm a querquophobe). I tend to serve most Chardonnay at cellar temperature or thereabouts, though the racier ones such as Chablis I serve cooler. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the '06 was not up to the standards of the '05, given the difference in the years in France. Sorry that you couldn't get the older wine!

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:12 am

Re: Belgian PN

Bob,

It sticks in my throat to pay EUR 28 for a Belgian PN and likewise for a similarly northerly PN from the Ahr valley near Cologne.

However next time I am in Liège during the kasteel's opening hours, I may pop over and sample their latest offerings. At the Kasteel's ex-cellar prices the Chardonnay Blue (on its 03 form) is worth adding to my range of everyday whites. I will probably get a taste of the PN and may buy some if it is acceptable QPR at their price (a large handful of Euros lower than the Brussels price).

But that may not be for some weeks.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:46 am

WTN: `06 St. Veran, J Drouhin.

Good natural cork, 13% alc, opened half hour. Love the classical Drouhin label. This area is close to Pouilly-Fuisse and 8 villages constitute the appellation.

Color. Pale lemon, no gold tones. Maybe just a green hue hint.

Nose. Chalk and minerally tones, flowery..... apple, peach struggles to show.

Palate. I read no oak somewhere but Mark thinks maybe. Dry, some acidty here, peach and apricot but does not show well. Puckery at first then as it warms hint of bitterness. Sure does not sound like the `05. Plenty of minerally/chalky tones, citrussy hint and needed 2 hrs to develope into something. I know I am waffling! Too simple and unbalanced for my taste, that Cote Chalonnaise was better for sure. Drouhin, this is a miss!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:05 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Thats a pity Brian as you must have been looking forward to opening. Bad bottle seems right to me but straight from the winery? Thread still going strong, thats nice. Drouhin St. Veran this weekend for me.

I'm thinking I should post a Newbie's Question: "What does oxidation taste like" because I think this was a textbook example. :?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:55 am

WTN: `05 Naked Chardonnay Four Vines, Santa Barbara County.

SC, 13.9% alc, love the package looks of this winery, $18 Cdn. KS has posted impressions of this non-oaked chard so here is my angle!!

Color. Think best described as deepish straw just verging on yellow.

Nose. Very appealing, minerally, apple, great no oak! Pineapple and citrus as it opens. Quite expressive I think.

Palate. Grapefruit, zesty, crisp acidity, lip smacking good. Mineral elements prominent here too plus hint of pineapple as it warms. One would indeed think some oak here due to some (leesy) creamyness? Wine did not overpower the sole fillets in a cream sauce. Nice wine, have to look at the zins again!!
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Naked has to be a selling point on this wine... and the label??? Not going to tell us???
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:46 pm

No No, the label for Four Vines is very appealing to the eye James. I was just remarking on the packageing.

http://www.fourvines.com
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:09 pm

2004 Demessey (Burgundy). A negotiant-little information on the web- being imported by a company called International Wine Cellars which my neighbors (the owners of the local Winestyles) favor. I have nejoyed IWC's "no-name" French wines quite a bit, actually, including this one.

A very, very nice wine for $24.99. It has crystalline pure Chardonnay fruit-apple, pear, peach with quite a bit of acidity. Just a whisper of oak and cream on the finish. Some complex and interesting herbal notes-I really liked the layers of flavors on this wine. 4*, and I don't even like Chardonnay that often :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:20 pm

Here`s another forumite who "does not like chardonnay that often".!!!! Well, Brian we are now on 4 pages of notes so think we have created some interest in this Open Mike eh. Keep `em coming.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 am

I was a bit surprised that no-one thought of adding a sparkling wine TN so here goes after a very pleasant evening downtown tasting various sparklers. Mike B was there too with his charming wife so fun night!

WTN: NV Simonnet-Febvre Cremant de Bourgogne.

Rare to find a sparkling wine from Chablis, this one is 60/40 Chardonnay to P Noir. Aroma was yeasty with apple and citrus flavors. Short finish, not too memorable.
Funny thing, wine displayed lot more bubbles in a Riedel glass.

WTN: NV Henry of Pelham Cuvee Catherine, Ontario, Canada.

Winery situated on the Short Hills Bench, this sparkler has seen second fermentation. Very small bubbles and good concentration of fruit mid-palate. Lotsa finish here, apple pie. $38 Cdn. Unknown blend of Chard and P Noir, no info on website. Very good wine forumites!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:46 am

DOMAINE DE MOUSCAILLO 2005 – Limoux AOC (100% Chardonnay according to the Belgian importer) – EUR 17.

C : Medium yellow. N : Complex white fruit with tangy citrus notes and minerals. P: Beautifully crisp, nervy and focused showing the same aromas as on the nose allied to quite generous flesh and a good firm finish.

This is quite the finest Chardonnay which I can recall from outside Burgundy and Champagne and is fully equal, IMHO, to the best offerings from the Chalonnais and Mâconnais in perhaps an even more mineral yet generous style. It has nothing in common with the rather bland and dull Chardonnay produced in other parts of the South of France.

Limoux is situated to the south of the walled mediaeval city of Carcassonne and, like Cabardès to its North, is therefore at a sort of watershed between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean with climatic influences from both; most of its vines are planted at between 200 and 400 metres. The region is best known for Blanquette de Limoux, which is claimed to be world’s first sparkling wine. I have only had it once, I think, but not bad at all.

The Mouscaillo estate is run by Pierre Fort, who learned his trade and his love of minerality at Château de Tracy in Pouilly-Fumé. As well as Chardonnay, the local white variety Mauzac makes up 15% of the white grapes (but is not claimed as an ingredient of this wine); they also have 0,8 hectares of Pinot Noir. Indeed there is no mention of Chardonnay on the main label, only on the back label which is worth quoting in loose translation as it helps to explain why the results are so superior to other Chardonnay from the south. “Here rock cuts up the landscape. The climate is one of contrasts, undergoing and profiting from the influences of Mediterranean, Pyrenees and Atlantic. Chardonnay is king. It draws its minerality from the depths of a calcareous soil which is inhabited by small marine fossils deposited there some 50 million years ago.”
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Tim, I learn something new everyday. Your report on Chard from Belgium most surprising, any hope of the PN?

As we all know 8) , the finest BeNeLux wine producer is Luxembourg. Belgium can keep it's title as 'Second Best Beer-making Country in Europe'. (maybe third for Chocolate!)
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Re beer, etc.

Well, Bill, I'm going to rise to the bait. I accept that Luxemburg is BIGGEST, if not best, wine producer in Benelux, but, as for quality and variety in beer and chocolate, Belgium can take on the world. Any contestants?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:23 pm

Tim York wrote:Re beer, etc.

Well, Bill, I'm going to rise to the bait. I accept that Luxemburg is BIGGEST, if not best, wine producer in Benelux, but, as for quality and variety in beer and chocolate, Belgium can take on the world. Any contestants?

Beer? Ahem...Deutschland? I might even give you chocolate. :wink:
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:48 pm

DOMAINE DE MOUSCAILLO 2005 – Limoux AOC (100% Chardonnay according to the Belgian importer) – EUR 17.

Tim, following up on an earlier comment, thanks for putting such effort in to this OM. Your choice of wines has been terrific and very educational.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Chateau Laboure-Roi Bourgogne Blanc Chardonnay 2005

Lovely light yellow-golden color in the glass.

Rich, okay nose.

Creamy, very spicy, pear, light grapefruit, honeyed, quite rich, toasty, moderate acidity, vanilla. Refreshing and delicous.

Great complexity and richness for a simple Bourgogne Blanc and a steal at $18.95 (Canadian).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:55 pm

That is a great price eh. Not much under $24 Cdn here in AB.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Tim York wrote:DOMAINE DE MOUSCAILLO 2005 – Limoux AOC (100% Chardonnay according to the Belgian importer) – EUR 17.

C : Medium yellow. N : Complex white fruit with tangy citrus notes and minerals. P: Beautifully crisp, nervy and focused showing the same aromas as on the nose allied to quite generous flesh and a good firm finish.

This is quite the finest Chardonnay which I can recall from outside Burgundy and Champagne and is fully equal, IMHO, to the best offerings from the Chalonnais and Mâconnais in perhaps an even more mineral yet generous style. It has nothing in common with the rather bland and dull Chardonnay produced in other parts of the South of France.

Limoux is situated to the south of the walled mediaeval city of Carcassonne and, like Cabardès to its North, is therefore at a sort of watershed between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean with climatic influences from both; most of its vines are planted at between 200 and 400 metres. The region is best known for Blanquette de Limoux, which is claimed to be world’s first sparkling wine. I have only had it once, I think, but not bad at all.

The Mouscaillo estate is run by Pierre Fort, who learned his trade and his love of minerality at Château de Tracy in Pouilly-Fumé. As well as Chardonnay, the local white variety Mauzac makes up 15% of the white grapes (but is not claimed as an ingredient of this wine); they also have 0,8 hectares of Pinot Noir. Indeed there is no mention of Chardonnay on the main label, only on the back label which is worth quoting in loose translation as it helps to explain why the results are so superior to other Chardonnay from the south. “Here rock cuts up the landscape. The climate is one of contrasts, undergoing and profiting from the influences of Mediterranean, Pyrenees and Atlantic. Chardonnay is king. It draws its minerality from the depths of a calcareous soil which is inhabited by small marine fossils deposited there some 50 million years ago.”

I should have a look around for this appellation as September Wine Focus is studying Chardonnay. I think there is one from Delmas out in the west end.
Tim, any chance of another Belgium chard note?!!
Previous