Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Heading to Seattle, and I can't wait!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Heading to Seattle, and I can't wait!!

by ScottD » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:21 pm

Unfortunately we won't have a ton of free time,,, but there's one place that I have to get to... and fortunately it's only a couple of blocks from where I'll be working during the days I'm out there....

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com

I've heard it's something like ordering at the Soup Nazi from the "old" Seinfeld storylines. Any pointers from someone with experience would be appreciated!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Pre-thread Message

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:11 pm

Scott, I've tried so hard to eat at this place, but every time I show up he's closed. The first time I got there on a wrong day, another time he closed for a family emergency...can't get lucky. But I'd kill to eat there and I've heard nothing but great things from those who have. Oh, and I've seen a bunch of his meats. Nothing short of amazing.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

Re: Heading to Seattle, and I can't wait!!

by MtBakerDave » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:50 pm

When I worked at Amazon (ancient history there!) I used to eat at Salumi sometimes. They're great there, or at least as much as possible for a place the size of a closet that's mobbed every moment they're open. Just be ready when you get to the front of the line, so you're not holding up everyone behind you. The sandwiches are truly divine. Only reason I didn't eat there more often is that there's NEVER any place to sit down, and it's not the most inviting neighborhood to find a place to eat a picnic lunch ...

Dave
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

Pre-thread Message

by Chris » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:50 am

That "Coming Soon - San Juan Lamb" sounds intriguing. And I see they have a "Dario" salami - wonder if that was named after Dario Cecchini? I have yet to get to his butcher shop in Panzano on my Italian travels. Ann Reavis, an ex-patriate who gave my husband and me a great tour of Florence last year, wrote a "Traveler's Tale" about Dario for the Tuscany edition several years ago entitled "At the Butcher".
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:24 am

MTBakerDave wrote:and it's not the most inviting neighborhood to find a place to eat a picnic lunch ...

Hey come on, Pioneer Square's only a block or so away. Lots of, er, colorful people to share your meal with. :)
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

by ScottD » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:17 pm

MTBakerDave wrote:...it's not the most inviting neighborhood to find a place to eat a picnic lunch ...

Dave

You know, that's the hardest part about going to a city you've never been to before... where to be, um, cautious maybe. Is it that kind of neighborhood or just colorful, as Jenise hinted at...
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:40 pm

ScottD wrote:Is it that kind of neighborhood or just colorful, as Jenise hinted at...

Seattle doesn't have many truly dangerous neighborhoods, and the ones that ARE dangerous are not where tourists are likely to be. That said, I would think about avoiding Chinatown (also known as the International District) and Pioneer Square after dark. Jenise is right - Pioneer Square is nearby, but there are usually a lot of homeless people hanging around to watch you eat. If I were a tourist, I might get something at Salumi, then wander down to the waterfront and walk on to the Bremerton ferry. That'll give you a 45-minute ride - time for a good picnic, then turn around and take the ferry back.

Dave
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes, in daylight hours, Pioneer Square is a place where the worst that might happen is that you feel guilty for feeding yourself so well in front of a few people. But close by--maybe two blocks north on 1st?--is Elliott Bay Books, one of the finest independent book sellers around. If you're a reader, this would be an excellent way to walk off your sammie.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Re: Pre-thread Message

by ScottD » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Scott, I've tried so hard to eat at this place, but every time I show up he's closed. The first time I got there on a wrong day, another time he closed for a family emergency...can't get lucky. But I'd kill to eat there and I've heard nothing but great things from those who have. Oh, and I've seen a bunch of his meats. Nothing short of amazing.

Well, Jenise, I know the feeling. We tried last week but the line was out the door around the corner, so I didn't get to try it. My travelling companion and I did cover our bases though, we ate at Etta's, and had a cured meat platter as a starter. Very good. And I brought home a couple of links from DeLaurenti--what a great store, so it wasn't a total shutout.

We also had a very, very pleasant dinner at Wild Ginger. And I had the best corned beef hash I've ever eaten at Lowell's.

'twas a good trip.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:07 pm

Scott, glad you had a good trip. I've only snacked at Etta's, but I liked it. And I've been wild about Wild Ginger since it's early days in another location. I was living in Alaska then, and we'd fly into Seattle for doctor's visits and spend our first lunch at Wild Ginger ordering seafood and white wines, then dinner with curried meats and red wines. It sometimes took a third visit to get the place out of our systems, and perhaps we never did--when I look back on those days, I can't remember a single other restaurant we ate it. None impressed. But I can tell you exactly what food and even what wines we had with them at the Ginger.

Fortunately for me we have a local guy who sells Armandino's salumi, so I get a great cured meat fix every now and then. In fact, I think I have some of his mole salami in the fridge that I forgot about--lunch!!

Thanks for the report.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Speaking of Seattle... I am attending a meeting next weekend at the Salish Lodge and Spa. Anyone know any particulars about the place/it's food ? I am very unlikely to have any free time to get out to anywhere else.

Thanks
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:14 pm

Christina, do you remember Mark Kieras? He posts here sometimes, though I haven't seen him since the move (he was definitely invited). Anyway, he's the sommelier there. He would probably be quite flattered if you contacted him directly.