The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner at Lampreia

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Seattle, WA

WTN: Dinner at Lampreia

by Eric LeVine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Test post from the real code...

DINNER AT LAMPREIA - Seattle, WA (1/28/2006)

Tonight we went to Lamreia with out frienfs Jeff & Judy. The food was lovely, and the wines were even more striking.
Jeff started us off with a gorgeous white Burg. This only improved in the glass.
  • 1992 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet
    Well this was a lovely bottle. Some stink and ash on the nose at first gives way to vanilla cream, mineral, and a hint of butterbrickle. The palate was initially all about lime and mineral, but with more air this simply exploded. Long, penetrating, gorgeous acidity, wow, what a lovely bottle. (94 pts.)
Next we hit a pair of ethereal 1990 Bordeax, wow!
  • 1990 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    This was right on form. Horse, roasted earth, some white flowers, wow. On the palate this was gamey, powerful, a sweet core, yet leathery and gorgoeus. What a simply lovely bottle, ripe, yet pure Graves, roasted and earthy. Mmm, I really enjoyed this a great deal! (97 pts.)
  • 1990 Château Beausejour (Duffau Lagarrosse) - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Wow, what a stunning showing for this ethereal wine. On first pop this was tight with some hints of roasted plum, a bit of leather, but mostly blood and iron. However, over the course of 3+ hours this just kept opening and showing more depth and intensity. Roasted plum, smokey creosote, white flowers, a whiff of tobacco, blood and raw beef, wow, this just won't stop! And the palate was that much more generous, long, powerful, chewy, still so young. This is surreal wine and only rated as 99 since this is not quite up to the memory of a bottle tasted in August. (99 pts.)
Finally, we finished up with a bit of dessert wine.
  • 2004 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Eiswein - Germany, Nahe
    On Monday I opened a 2002 version of this wine, and it simply left me stunned. This bottle was almost as gorgeous but a bit more mortal. Spritz, remarkable acidity, clean, thrusting and powerful. This is certainly an amazing wine with a remarkable concentration of acidity. However, it is not at the same level as the 2002 or simply offering less right now. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Dinner at Lampreia

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:48 pm

This had me running straight to my cellar list (non-Tracker, as yet) to see if I have any Beausejours. Not that there's anything wrong with the Haut Brion, but I knew the answer to that already. Sounds great.

Does Tracker yet take direct load-ins from Excel spreadsheets? Last we chatted you were working on that.
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Jenise, I added a bulk import facility back around Thanksgiving. You can read about it here: http://www.cellartracker.com/bulkfaq.asp

The time involved to do the import is a function of how many unique wines you have in your cellar (so 20 vintages of Haut Brion counts as just one wine). People can map about 100 wines per hour, and in general people are finding the bulk import process about 10-15 times faster than loading up by hand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:41 pm

Eric, I probably have 700 unique wines which would collapse by 1/6th for multi-vintage names that repeat, so I should be able to accomplish an upload in a day--good news. I'll take a look, thanks for the link.
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:45 pm

Jenise, I bet it goes a lot faster than that. One of the things I can do is pre-map usually 30-40% of the work for people. Anyway, give it a shot and shoot me a spreadsheet. I bet we could have you up and running in an afternoon.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:47 pm

Jenise,
With about 500 unique bottlings it took me a few hours (and you don't have to do all at once). Very well done tool, and I really love Cellartracker.