The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Mas d'en Gil 2003 Coma Vella

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Mas d'en Gil 2003 Coma Vella

by MattThr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm

Someone bought me this as a present which I was immensely happy to receive as not only is this a very well-regarded vintner but I have a particular fondness for Spanish wine - and before this I was unfamiliar with the region of Priorato from which this hails.

=====

Scent not overly expressive - soft black fruit and smoke, certainly and I thought I also detected notes of hazelnut.

The immediate sensation on taking a mouthful is one of texture, not flavour. The wine is well balanced, full-bodied, velvety, mouth-coating and rich. You feel almost as if you could eat it instead of drink it - I presume this is the sensation so many wine critics refer to as "chewy" or "crunchy".

A slight spiciness seems to almost dissolve the texture and then the flavour comes through. The predominant flavours are bitter, although not unpleasantly so - unripe cherry, cooking chocolate and licorice - although softer notes such as plum that little tinge of hazelnut come through a bit later. The fruit is very definitely subdued though - this is a wine as much about feel as it as about flavour.

The most astonishing thing I found about this wine though was the finish which was dominated by those bitter flavours and which just lasts and lasts and lasts. I enjoyed some good, strong cheese with this wine and to my amazement I discovered that the finish even dominated over the after-taste of ripe Brie!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: [WTN] Mas d'en Gil 2003 Coma Vella

by Ian Sutton » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:30 pm

Matt
Nice one - we've drunk 2-3 vintages of this wine and 'the brains of the operation' is a big fan (and to be fair, I also think it a very smart wine). the 2002 was, not unsurprisingly, a bit less impressive, but was still a good wine. It seems like they've done a decent job in 2003 as well.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:21 pm

Nice note Matt, keep `em coming. The initial mouthfeel entry is very important and in my TNs I always start off with this first impression. Matters seem to develope from there quite nicely(or otherwise)!!!
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:07 am

Yep, this was a most unusual wine for me - a mile away from the structured, fruity Rioja and (more recently) Bordeaux wines that I'd got used to drinking.

Really enjoyed the change though and this is definitely one that I'll be procuring a couple more bottles of for my nascent collection of wine to mature. Unless it's worth waiting for the 2004, that is?

Now I just need to find somewhere to put it ...