The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Italians

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: Italians

by Mark S » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:30 pm

Manzone, Barolo, Santo Stefano, 1998
Light cherry-maroon colored. Floral prune stink, along with some mint & catsup. In the mouth, much tight cherry Twizzlers®, betel juice, tight tannins...more powerful than elegant. Ok, I guess. It's still nebbiolo, after all.

Antico Brolio, Colli Orientali del Fruili, Schioppettino, 2003
Medium cranberry with violet highlights for the attractive color. On the nose are smoky perfumed dark redcurrants, while the palate shows off a fresher redcurrant juice, some rose oil, and fresh tobacco leaf, all very ripe but where lively acidity keeps it hopping. Lightly herbal on the end. Very nice to meet your acquaintance, Mr. Schioppettino!

Pieropan, Soave Classico, 2002
Tawney gold colored. Basket straw, and preserved field flowers, pickled, and not as fresh as the nose on this used to be. Calcified stalagmites with light ginger zest, feels a little aged in the mouth. Like spending time with an attractive older woman who wears her charms well but wishing you knew her during her younger years.

Stefano Mancinelli, Marche Rosso 'Rubrum', 2005
See-thru ruby red. Fragrant floral nose of roses and delphiniums. A light, flowery palate with mulberry notes and a slightly chalky ending. An inexpensive, freshly made bistro red that works great as asummertime picnic red. And only 12.5% alcohol(!)

Dolianova, Cannonau di Sardegna, 'Anzemas', 2005
Yes, this is grenache for you grenache-haters out there, so what? This is still a little adorable fruit puppy of a wine, like drinking liquid fruit punch with some anise and basket straw in the glass. Some sour plum on the finish. Even though alcohol is 13.5%, this shows thru with air time. Fun while it lasted, but not something I would load up on.

Michele Chiarlo, Barbera d'Asti 'Le Orme', 2004
Dark cranberry red colored. Floral redcurrants and rosy hibiscus on the aroma, echoed on the palate, with a bright singing acid and floral finish. Like a wine made from Red Zinger® teabags.

Vitanza, Brunello di Montalcino, 1998
Still blackish red colored. Cherry-licorice incense aromas. Black cherry cola, old strawberry preserves minus the sugar, stewed plums and old wooden closet, this is beginning to take on an aged patina finally, and I like it. Of course, I like sangiovese at this stage of development. Keeping it's own.

Monasterio Trappiste Vittorchiano, Vino da Tavola bianco 'Coenobium', 2005
From the cenobitic women somewhere in the centre of Italia comes this funky-assed white that delivers its package and lets you decide if God smiles upon His own. Color is a hazy pear-white, which makes sense, since Emidio Pepe has his hands in this project. Yellow plums and spring fruits, starfruit, a waxy texture, and the chalk dustiness I find in Trebbiano. A blend of several grapes, and good.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TN: Italians

by Marc D » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:10 pm

I tried the 2002 Pieropan Soave this summer and it seemed just a hair from oxidation to me also. Are there any Soave that you have enjoyed with some bottle age?

No great experience with them, but Cannonou seems to be a very drinkable form of Grenache.

Any idea of what grapes goes into the Marche Rosso?

Very enjoyable reading, thanks
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Marc D wrote:
Any idea of what grapes goes into the Marche Rosso?

3 grapes: blend of Lacrima, Sangiovese and Montipulciano. Not sure of the order, but I think lacrima plays the minor part. This producer has a single-varietal lacrima.

Very enjoyable reading, thanks

You're very welcome, Marc. I always enjoy your posts as well.
salud!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Great notes, Mark S. I like your use of simile, as I often think in those terms but never considered using it in my notes (until now!).
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:46 pm

I really liked the 2002 Pieropan on release. NEver tried to age them. Thanks for all the notes (French and others too).
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Good notes, Mark. Thanks.

I loves my Schioppetino, I do, I do.

Sucked down quite a few bottles whilst in Venice and touring the Friuli, and have been in love with it every since. Bam! Lives up to its name, it does, with the shotgun acidity to keep things lively.

Never had the Antico Brolio though. I'll be on the lookout for it.