The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

OK, if you HAD to serve a red with Lobster and drawn butter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: OK, if you HAD to serve a red with Lobster and drawn butter

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Better yet take a well oaked chardonnay, pour it into a cab bottle, add a few drops of red food dye and give it to them. See if they REALLY don't like white wine!

Of course you might not be invited back once they tell you your wine was great and you let the cat out of the bag..... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 pm

LOL...thanks everyone for the suggestions...I guess I didn't word my post well, but Jenise hit the nail on the head. I am bringing whites (Vouvray and a chardonnay) for my husband and I to drink (and of course the hosts are welcome to these choices), but like I said, they have told me they don't drink white wine. So, I just feel obligated to bring a red.

Jenise, I am going to take your advice and just bring a nice full bodied cab or merlot...or even a CdP or Montepulciano D'Abruzzo. I know that's what they like, and if red just really doesn't marry well with lobster, no point in bringing a lighter red (which they don't prefer). They may say they want to drink the white (which would be great...) and save the red for another day. If they want the red, they can have it, but my husband and I will be drinking the VOUVRAY!! LOL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:25 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:You know, this is sort of like a thread agonizing about mixing wine with Dr. Pepper - who cares what the wine is, it isn't going to taste like anything in company with that food anyway.

Give them a bottle of whatever they like to drink and don't try to second guess them on taste - they obviously don't care about wine that much or they'd be open minded about trying whites with that sort of food.

Jenise - thanks for pointing out the whites chosen - the Vouvray may be too soft and subtle for a rich lobster, depending on how it is served. You need something with some acidity (some Vouvrays have this but a lot don't). Same goes for buttery chards although I know many people like that with lobster.

Give me a Muscadet or even a crisp Riesling, depending on preparation.

So I have these people coming over and they drink nothing but white wine and I am serving a beef daube....... :wink: .

I'd have thought the buttery Chardonnay would work well, based on the 'like with like' idea.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Damn it! Bring a f*cking Rose! Pibarnon Bandol Rose? Bruno Clair Marsannay Rose? Delicious with seafood. Everyone is happy...
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
Previous