The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1999 Pierre Usseglio "Mon Aieul" - not a tasting note

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

1999 Pierre Usseglio "Mon Aieul" - not a tasting note

by Diane (Long Island) » Wed May 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I don't know what to make of this wine. No explosive fruit nose that I expected. It is definitely off, maybe corked, but I'm not sure. I was so disappointed, I went and opened a second bottle, and it, too, suffered from the same flaw. It was sour - "what is grapefruit doing in my Chateauneuf du Pape?" I have only heard raves about this wine, but there will be no raving (except in anger) for the ones I opened. Bummer!
Diane
no avatar
User

fjlosada

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:33 pm

New York

Re: 1999 Pierre Usseglio "Mon Aieul" - not a tasting note

by fjlosada » Thu May 25, 2006 12:15 am

It sounds like damaged bottles. It is a very good wine.
no avatar
User

David Spriggs

Rank

Just got here

Mon May 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Boulder Creek, CA

by David Spriggs » Thu May 25, 2006 1:52 am

Wow! I have some of this. I guess I'll have to put one in the tasting queue and check it out. Thansk for the heads up!
-Dave-
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu May 25, 2006 10:52 am

Diane (Long Island) wrote:It was sour - "what is grapefruit doing in my Chateauneuf du Pape?" I have only heard raves about this wine, but there will be no raving (except in anger) for the ones I opened. Bummer!

Diane--I'm no expert on CdP, but according to a few sources (including Robin), the wine frequently shuts down between (roughly) the fifth and seventh years after vintage. Meaning, I guess, you might be better off trying it before it turns five or after it turns eight. Some tasters say the '98 CdPs, for example, are just now starting to come to. Your bottles may have indeed been flawed, but sourness could also be a function of wine that's shedding its youthful fruit but hasn't yet picked up secondary nuances, leaving it acidic but perhaps flavor-deficient. The fact that your two bottles showed so similarly might support my guess. If you've got more bottles, don't give up hope. And FWIW, I don't know (and believe me, I've asked) of any sources for dumb-phase rules of thumb that apply to other red wines, although the Johnson/Robinson World Atlas of Wine shows a suggestive drinkability chart for Bordeaux with a dip around age seven.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm

Dave - let me know.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu May 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Clinton - my understanding is that the 1999 CdPs have not closed down, and are early drinkers. I had an outstanding 1999 Clos du Caillou Les Quartz last week, and a 1999 Pegau a couple of months ago that was gorgeous. These 2 Mon Aieuls were perplexing. Sadly, I don't have any others.
Diane
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri May 26, 2006 10:51 am

Diane, I agree. The 1999s I have had have not shut down, and are really quite nice now. As you say, the 99 Pegau is wonderful, and I remember reading someplace that Laurence said she did not think it would ever shut down. Also, the 99 Bois de Boursan regular cuvee is gorgeous.
I have no experience with the Usseglio, but do you suppose there is a possibility you have a counterfeit there? It doesn't sound either corked or cooked to me.....
-OW
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Fri May 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Counterfeit? I don't think so. I purchased it from Calvert Woodley in Washington DC, and they are listed on the back of the bottle as the importer. I'm considering contacting them.
Diane