The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What does WTN stand for please?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

What does WTN stand for please?

by Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:53 pm

I've been looking back over 228 pages - gone from 228 to 120 working backwards.

I've looked at the FAQs as well - but what do the letters WTN stand for on many of the posts please?

I'm sure I'll do a Homor Simpon 'Doohh!' when told.

Thanks, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What does WTN stand for please?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Wine Tasting Note. The theory is that people prefer to be able to tell the difference between tasting note posts and others; too, in aids in search functions. Say you wanted to know if anyone else had tasted a 2000 Chateau Plunk--if you use those words plus WTN in your search query, it will ensure that the data base returns only tasting notes.

Btw, welcome to the forum, Dave!
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Homer Simpson Doohh!

Right - that makes sence.

Thanks for the prompt reply Jenise.

Cheers, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:14 pm

Dave, you're welcome. Btw, what part of Manchester? I used to live in Macclesfield.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

It actually stands for "we're telling no-one" and Jenise broke the code of silence. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 pm

I live to the East of Manchester - Hyde.

US members can think of Sam Tyler (Life on Mars) and myself being neighours.

You're a sane lot here??? I can trust you with this info :?

[img]http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/davecooper/drwhobits2/hydeuk.jpg[/img]

Cheers, Dave C
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 pm

Looks a tad overcrowded where you live Dave!!! Are you familiar with Alberta at all? 2 hrs drive to the next town!! Maybe see 6 cars on the way there.LOL.

One final question, are you a member of Tom C`s wine forum in the UK??
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Oh come on Bob - I was in Canada for 17 days and met 11 people from Edmonton. Given normal driving rules that should mean at least 9 cars.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:14 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Looks a tad overcrowded where you live Dave!!! Are you familiar with Alberta at all? 2 hrs drive to the next town!! Maybe see 6 cars on the way there.LOL.

One final question, are you a member of Tom C`s wine forum in the UK??

Well there's well over 1 million in Greater Manchester - there are nearly 80,000 University students here alone - and soon there will be 'congestion' charges payable for driving into the City Centre at peak times.

As to another wine forum - I'll stick to just this one at the moment as I'm active in a few other forums.

Cheers, Dave C
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Good one Dave. 11 people from Edmonton, no wonder it was quiet around here. Were they all off to the rodeo?!!
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Sorry to follow myself - but just checked for that forum.

Is this it?

Link removed

I'll certainly keep an eye on it - and maybe join later.

Thank's for pointing it out.

Cheers, Dave C
Last edited by Dave C on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Yeah, Dave. Maybe edit the link out, not sure we are allowed to do that!!!!
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:08 pm

Dave, welcome to the forum! And it's okay to use "d'oh!" all by itself considering it's in some dictionaries nowadays :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:20 pm

A.B., the OED has had it for years -- first use 1945:

Forms: 19- d'oh, doh, dooh.

Expressing frustration at the realization that things have turned out badly or not as planned, or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also (usu. mildly derogatory): implying that another person has said or done something foolish (cf. DUH int.).
1945 T. KAVANAGH It's That Man Again (B.B.C. radio script: 8th Ser. No. 166), Tom: Yes, out of the nest-Diana: What nest? Tom: In those whiskers-Diana: Dooh! Its [sic] no good talking to you. 1945 T. KAVANAGH It's That Man Again (B.B.C. radio script: 8th Ser. No. 167), Diana: The man I marry must be affectionate and call me ‘Dear’-Tom: Oh you're going to be a stag's wife-Diana: Doh! Tom: Same thing. 1952 A. BUCKERIDGE Jennings & Darbishire xii. 183 ‘Doh!’ An anguished gasp of exasperation rang out loud and clear as Mr Wilkins found his voice again. 1989 Beano 11 Feb. 23 (caption) [Speaker is a man who is knocked against a bus stop.] Doh! 1991 Chicago Tribune (Nexis) 15 Nov. (Friday) H, ‘The movie had one good point: It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen.’ ‘It was the worst movie I've ever seen.’ ‘Doh!’ 1993 HP Professional (Nexis) July 28 Along their long path ISO sort of missed local area networks and network management, which gave the market over to TCP/IP and related technologies. As Homer Simpson would say: ‘Doh!’ 1996 A. FEIN et al. Simpsons Comics strike Back! 14/2 ‘Look out, you dern fool! You're gonna cut off your...’ ‘D'oh!!!’ 1998 N. JONES Hollyoaks (Mersey TV transmission script) Episode 256. 44 Cindy: What are we doing here, anyway? Paul: Doh! Use your head, eh?
no avatar
User

Barry Fowden

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 am

Germany

by Barry Fowden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:49 am

Hi Dave, I went to school in Hyde..and the old building is still standing..I know .. I visited last year after 40 years...

You must be a Manchester City fan...(that's Soccer for you guys over the pond)

Barry :P
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Barry Fowden wrote:Hi Dave, I went to school in Hyde..and the old building is still standing..I know .. I visited last year after 40 years...

You must be a Manchester City fan...(that's Soccer for you guys over the pond)

Barry :P

Hi Barry,

I grew up in Audenshaw - and when to a Secondary school in Ashton-u-Lyne.

Not a football fan at all - although I did try to cheer the England's Womens teem when they were beaten by the USA tean 3-0 in the World Cup Quarter Finals a few days ago.

I much prefer Tennis - just watched Tim Henman's last match as a professional in the Davis Cup -

and Golf - just watched Lee Westwood win the Masters Golf here in the UK.

Cheers, Dave C
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Dave, yes I remember Hyde. Isn't that where the...no, no, that was Eccles. Other side I think. I fondly remember my time there, about a year and a half, on assignment at Fluor E & C's Manchester office, in which your countrymen taught me to like beer and blue cheese both of which I had, up until then, abhored. And to this day, I have not found the equal of Marks and Spencer sage and onion bangers and my butcher's wife's soft white bread. The thought of traffic congestion laws in Manchester floors me, but then I haven't been back in 20 years, and I think they instituted same in London years ago, so it's really no wonder.
Loved my time there, though.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 pm

We only got the first season of this here on BBC America. I'd love to see the second/final season. Rumor has it that David Kelley is producing a US version. Not sure who is playing Sam Tyler role but I heard that Colm Meaney is slated to be Gene Hunt.
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
We only got the first season of this here on BBC America. I'd love to see the second/final season. Rumor has it that David Kelley is producing a US version. Not sure who is playing Sam Tyler role but I heard that Colm Meaney is slated to be Gene Hunt.

I know we are seriously off topic here but anyway:-

I don't really like the idea of an American 'Life on Mars' but I can see Colm Meaney doing a good job of the Gene Hunt part - think of the part he played in 'Con Air'

Cheers, Dave C
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:00 am

Dave C wrote:I'll certainly keep an eye on it - and maybe join later.

Don't delay! Did you check the offline planner and see that there is a Burgundy offline in Manchester being planned? You'll be very welcome. Do stick around here too, but Manchester offline organisation is not the strong point of WLDG!

Offline: Where members of an online forum meet in real life to drink good wine, usually BYO at a restaurant.

Real life: Er, hmm. Not so sure about that one.
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:39 pm

steve.slatcher wrote:
Dave C wrote:I'll certainly keep an eye on it - and maybe join later.

Don't delay! Did you check the offline planner and see that there is a Burgundy offline in Manchester being planned? You'll be very welcome. Do stick around here too, but Manchester offline organisation is not the strong point of WLDG!

Offline: Where members of an online forum meet in real life to drink good wine, usually BYO at a restaurant.

Real life: Er, hmm. Not so sure about that one.

Looked at that thread - reminded me of an episode of 'A Twist in The Tale' by Roald Darl - where two 'friends' have a wine-tasting challenge each week - one acted by Ron Moody.

It gets to the stage where the 'bet' on identifing the wine is the friend's daughters 'hand in marriage'

But I'm sure this one is a lot more civilized!!

A bit out of my scope - I find 'Chateau nerf de Pape' at 16 Quid about the top of my range.

Here's a list of the last four wines (all red) I've had to give you an idea of my (basic) level -that's if you've heard of them - all from Tescos

Hangs head in shame thinking 'they'll ask me nicely to please leave our forum'

Tulum Valley Estate - Shiraz - San Juan (Argentina) 2006

Hawkes Bay - Merlot - Oyster Bay (New Zealand) 2006

Fetzer Valley Oaks - Shiraz (California) 2006

Californian - Reserve Zinfandel (California) 2005

So as you can see I'm not in the 30 quid (60 dollar) a bottle Burgandy catagory.

I'll go and sit in the corner for a while now

Cheers, Dave C
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:43 pm

OK, assuming you have also read the recent discussion there about appropriate bottles to take to the offline I will not try to persuade any further. Do keep an eye out for future events though. The Burgundy offline is one of our grander ones. The last one was a more modest, and smaller, bring-a-bottle-of-anything event. Still good fun.

How was the Oyster Bay Merlot? I am not generally a fan of a) Merlot and b) NZ red wines, but I recently had a Montana Reserve Merlot 2004 (around £10 I think) which I thought was very impressive.
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:27 pm

steve.slatcher wrote:OK, assuming you have also read the
recent discussion there about appropriate bottles to take to the
offline I will not try to persuade any further.
Do keep an eye out for future events though.
The Burgundy offline is one of our grander ones. The last one
was a more modest, and smaller, bring-a-bottle-of-anything event.
Still good fun.

How was the Oyster Bay Merlot? I am not generally a fan of a) Merlot and b) NZ red wines,
but I recently had a Montana Reserve Merlot 2004 (around £10 I think) which I thought was very impressive.

Yes - the meet seems to be great - but I still consider myself (am) just getting to grips with anything above 'standard fare'

The Oyster Bay Merlot was to me 'as it said on the bottle 'soft & fruity'
but it was a couple of weeks ago.

However I bought a couple of bottles at a good price and I also got a Californian Merlot - Mission Bell Winery Echo Falls 2006.

So this weekend I'll try them 'back-to-back' as I don't drink Merlot that much.

I might even try - as this thread carries the querry 'WTN' - to post a tasting - although I suppose these 'WTN' threads are really
for 'Grand' wines.

I'm also going to start a new section on my website for my interest in wine and to that end have started to photograph each bottle I buy -
Sad I know - I'm, late in life - becoming a wine bore!!

So to proudly show my new face to the world here are pictures of the two wines I'll compare.

Yes, I know - they'll let anyone into the club thesedays!

Cheers, Dave C.

PS - Please still speak to me :oops:
Last edited by Dave C on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:14 pm

Dave C wrote:...although I suppose these 'WTN' threads are really
for 'Grand' wines....
Not necessarily.
WTN: "Thunderbird" :roll:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Next