The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Dry Steuben (Bruce Giles vineyard, NY)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Dry Steuben (Bruce Giles vineyard, NY)

by Paul B. » Sun May 28, 2006 12:44 am

This Steuben rosé is a dry labrusca wine made by none other than our very own Howie Hart.

Pale salmon-rose colour. Intensely fruity/flowery nose - strawberries and roses with secondary candied-spice aromas from the grapes. Crisp, balanced acidity with a healthy grip and a clean, dry texture. Lighter in colour than the previous Steuben that Howie gave me, but no less intense in aroma. Very slight candied musk on the finish - not nearly as much as either Concord or Niagara.

All in all, Steuben makes a wine that to me often seems very similar to Catawba.

Howie, I have to say that after trying your regular off-dry Steuben rosé and this dry one, I honestly feel the dry version to be a superior wine: its acidity is completely unfettered and its structure comes through as firm and bright. I really like this one much better than the other.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

Re: WTN: Hart Cellars 2005 Dry Steuben (Bruce Giles vineyard, NY)

by Dan Smothergill » Sun May 28, 2006 6:41 am

Sounds very nice. I think it was the previous one you refer to that Howie gave me. I look forward to tasting this one at NiagaraCool. I'll be bringing my '05 Steuben too.

Speaking of Steuben, Niagara Landing is just about to release a dry Steuben. Domenic Caresseti is in charge there now. The winery is located only about 12 miles from the NiagaraCool picnic place and will be open that afternoon. I plan to stop by if there's time and would be glad to pick up Steuben or anything else for anyone interested.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun May 28, 2006 9:15 am

Glad you enjoyed it Paul. I just checked the cellar and I have 5 bottles of Steuben left, 2 dry, 2 off dry and 1 sweet. I'll probably serve an off-dry and the sweet tomorrow at the "Welcome Home from Iraq" picnic I'm throwing for my son, along with a few others. In addition, before NiagaraCOOL I intend to get together with the student in my winemaking class that made the dry Catawba and trade for a few bottles. Maybe I'll even invite her.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:Speaking of Steuben, Niagara Landing is just about to release a dry Steuben. Domenic Caresseti is in charge there now.

Dan, that is mind-blowingly awesome. First we see Jeff Murphy making a dry Concord, then we hear of John Zuccarino's dry Catawba, and now Domenic Caresseti is about to release a dry Steuben. I feel as though all the years of preaching and pleading are finally amounting to something! :mrgreen:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca