Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Summer cravings.... what is your favorite summer dish?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Summer cravings.... what is your favorite summer dish?

by Bernard Roth » Sat May 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Paulo Faustini wrote: I have yet to find a bread that equals to what one has in Italy.

Huh??? C'mon, Paulo. The bread in Italy generally sucks. After France, the best bread is made in the US.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

Re: Panzanella

by Paulo in Philly » Sat May 27, 2006 6:17 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:My homemade Panzanella, which I make better than anybody else! I use homegrown vine-ripe tomatoes.

Hmmmmmm! Panzanella!!! Do you put onions in yours? I will never forget the first time I had it - could not believe how simple and delicious it was. What a wonderful dish to make with left over bread?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 28, 2006 11:23 am

Paulo,

You have just named my #1 summer favorite. And like you, no balsamic or onions. I want the perfection of the four ingredients, topped with a bit of fleur de sel and as you say, a loaf of crusty bread. This is, in fact, the only dish on which I am a dunker--I will not otherwise put bread in plate to soak up sauces or gravies. But for caprese, it's a must.

Now, what's #2? Might be potato salad. Red potatoes with a ton of celery, onions, mayo, sour cream, dill, chopped fresh jalapenos and juice from canned jalapenos en escabeche.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun May 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha-lapenos???? Oh my - I don't think I have ever had potato salad with jalapenos. Hmmmmmmmm. I will certainly clean out my sinuses! :shock:
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun May 28, 2006 12:33 pm

What? We have a bunch of rabbits around here? :wink:

BBQ baby-back pork ribs, sour cream/mustard based potato salad, baked or ranch beans, all served up with mass quantities of Rhone wines and Alaskan Amber beer. Then comes the fresh strawberry shortcake with a variety of stickies. Now we're talking summer!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 28, 2006 4:47 pm

Yup, jalapenos. Not too hot, but hot enough to be deserve the title "XXX Adult potato salad". I'm actually taking it to a barbecue tomorrow--and when I described it by title, the host said, "I want four X." To which I replied, "then we'll have to arrive naked." He turned me down. :?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon May 29, 2006 8:20 am

Jenise wrote:"I want four X." To which I replied, "then we'll have to arrive naked." He turned me down. :?

That's totally cold, man, totally cold.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2006 2:21 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:totally cold.

As I would have been had he jumped at my offer. Plus, I skipped my pedicure last week and that would have been glaringly obvious, so all in all it worked out.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:31 pm

Hello Paulo - you didn't mention the essential that you would be using 'jersey tomatoes' - maybe the best anywhere. my vote for best summer dish would be salad nicoise. i sometimes 'can' my own tuna - i.e. poach it and refrigerate it in olive oil until needed - recipe from an old issue of the art of eating. do other people do as i do and serve salad nicoise 'deconstructed' - i.e. NOT tossed?? best regards; david
david creighton
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

by bgbarcus » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:21 pm

In all these answers I didn't see BLT mentioned once. Seems like a major oversight.
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:47 am

Now that IS a hard question. Caprese, certainly. Pimientos de Padron quickly sauteed in olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt. Orzo with lemon, olive oil and mint. Bruschetta. Fusillli with chopped tomatoes, olive oil and garlic. Figs stuffed with goat cheese and drizzled with port reduction. Jello with Cool-Whip. (Just kidding). Just picked cherries, strawberries, or raspberries. Home made ice cream and frozen yogurt. Jamon Serrano or good Proscuitto. Papaya, watermelon mango and jicama with chile powder, salt and lime. Give me time and I'll come up with more....

Regards,

John
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:19 pm

I made Jenise's potato salad two weeks in a row after having it at her place last month and find myself craving it yet again. It is wonderfully yummy stuff.

My favorite summer dish is what we call summer in a bowl, similar to dishes other have posted, but it's fresh tomatoes and lemon cucumbers from our garden, sliced with some sweet red onion, a little salt, a little pepper, and toss with a little red wine vinegar, a little olive oil. Variations to this would be to put some avocado cubes in and also crumble a little creamy Maytag blue cheese on top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:47 am

made Jenise's potato salad two weeks in a row after having it at her place last month

Yahbut, you leave the celery out of it for Scot. All wrong, it's all wrong I say....
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Only left the celery out of a small portion for Scot and won't do that again! I'm chomping on celery as I type - love the stuff and it's a must for that salad. Still haven't added celery seed yet but perhaps next time I make it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:30 pm

and won't do that again!

That's the spirit. You'll never turn that man around if you give him choices. Celery's good for him.

I love it, too. Got some celery stewing right now--oh, with a little chicken for seasoning. :)
Previous