The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner last night-Lafond, Pepiere, Groth, Anselmann

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Atwater Village, CA.

WTN: Dinner last night-Lafond, Pepiere, Groth, Anselmann

by Gregg G » Sun May 28, 2006 9:29 am

• 2002 Comte Lafond Sancerre - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (5/27/2006)
    Not a lot going on aromatically and rather thin on the palate. Some lemon peel and minerality, but lacking in concentration. With air it opened up a bit, but not a wine I would return to. Out of 375ml, so we were able to kill this one off quickly.
  • 2004 Domaine de la Pepiere (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (5/27/2006)
    All I can say is, why in the hell didn't I buy more. OK, now that that's out of the way, this is just delicious juice. Lemon liquid stones. Crisp, clean and refreshing with minerality to spare. There also seems to be the essence of the sea in this bottle...not sure if that is related to the minerality but it is refreshing and adds character. This wine paired perfectly with the Hamachi carpaccio with yuzu and citrus gastrique. They say this wine will last a long time and age well...unfortunately none of mine stand a chance.
  • 1994 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (5/27/2006)
    I'm starting to go through orphan bottles to make room in the cellar. I couldn't get a real read on the color...as best I could tell no real signs of age. Showing restrained aromas of cedar, pencil shavings and currant. The palate is just pure silk and finese. Everything is in harmony. This doesn't have the concentration of the reserve, but clearly the same breed. Not a tannin in sight, yet there is some structure adding support to the complex flavors and length on the finish. What can I say, but a great wine for what it is. Paired with a course of mushroom, duck confit & parmigiano risotto, and dry aged petit fielt mignon. Retail was $19.99.
  • 2004 Anselmann Riesling Eiswein - Germany, Pfalz, Edesheimer Forst (5/27/2006)
    Light straw in color. Nose of stone fruits, honey and marmalade. The palate is where this wine shines. Crisp acidity delivers then fruit with great precision. Good length and clean finish. I want more. Bought at Trader Joes in Santa Barbara. Paired with warm macadamia nut & Scharffen Berger chocolate bread pudding. Retail: $19.99
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

Re: WTN: Dinner last night-Lafond, Pepiere, Groth, Anselmann

by Tyler Brebbermann » Sun May 28, 2006 9:37 am

Thanks for the notes Greg. The Groth is one of the few Cali Cabs that I've been able to try in that price range and I was very pleased with it. I guess work does have a few nice perks =). We sell it for $70 dollars at the restaurant and I usually have few problems selling it. Our vintage is 2002, nice to hear how well it holds up over time.

Tyler
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sun May 28, 2006 9:44 am

Gregg,
The 05 Briords is now in the market and just as good - maybe better.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun May 28, 2006 5:15 pm

Gregg, I discovered the Dom. Pepiere Muscadet a few years back, and I always try to keep some of it on hand. For some reason, I noticed that I'm out at the moment, so thanks for the reminder to stock up for the summer. BTW ... I hope you will take this as flattery, but I intend to borrow your short description "lemon liquid stones."

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Mon May 29, 2006 1:07 am

I haven't seen the '05 Pepieres on the west coast yet, but when I do...look out (note: drink more orphans-quickly)
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Gregg G

Rank

Ultra geek

Atwater Village, CA.

by Gregg G » Mon May 29, 2006 1:11 am

I hope you will take this as flattery...

yah sure ya betcha
Regards,
Gregg
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Mon May 29, 2006 12:53 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Gregg,
The 05 Briords is now in the market and just as good - maybe better.
Best, Jim

Really? I'd only seen the '05 Pepiere so far. Time for another visit to Chambers I suppose.

BTW, putting a few away for aging is a very good idea. The '88 after 2 hours in a decanter is a marvel.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2006 1:39 pm

Gregg, good timing on the Groth. I have a lone bottle I've been wondering about opening, and your note is encouraging.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov