Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Coffee/espresso question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Coffee/espresso question

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:05 pm

Warren Mason, who runs the Sydney International Wine Competition, had a Nespresso at his place in the Blue Mountains, and it was great! I haven't seen one in the US, though.

I do use Illy single-serving espresso "pods" - sort of like espresso tea bags - in my Krups espresso machine. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it ... but they really do make a decent espresso.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:35 pm

many of my restaurant accounts have gone to pods - it's just easier for the staff.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:01 pm

Philips made a pretty solid marketing push a little while back on a pod coffee maker they call "Senseo". One of the other groups here at the lab have one in our break room that they use. It seems to work pretty well, but it's the only one I've seen outside of a store. Don't know if they've sold many over here or not. I've not had any Senseo coffee so I can't comment on the qulity of the pods.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

Personally

by John DeFiore » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:51 pm

I use one of the "super-automatic" espresso machines that grinds, tamps, brews and ejects the grounds when done. I prefer African coffees, particularly from Ethiopia and Kenya and I wouldn't want to buy a machine where I had to use coffee selected by someone else. However, at work or a restaurant you kind of have to take what you get....

Regards,

John