Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Steaks and stuff questions (not for vegans)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Steaks and stuff questions (not for vegans)

by Larry Greenly » Mon May 29, 2006 7:56 pm

Mmmm, steak....

What cut is your favorite steak? What degree of doness do you prefer, and why?

What are your thoughts about placing a dollop of butter on a finished steak to enrich it?

Steak sauce or not? And what kind?
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

Re: Steaks and stuff questions (not for vegans)

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Mon May 29, 2006 8:26 pm

My favorite is dry-aged ribeye, salt and pepper only, seared over a really hot grill and served medium rare. No butter needed; no sauce needed. We let it rest after cooking, so the marbled fat and the meat juices make it moist.
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 29, 2006 9:06 pm

Niki said it - nothing finer than a ribeye, rare, no butter needed.

People look at them and think it is a fatty cut - far from the truth! In a ribeye you can SEE the fat and avoid eating it. In a sirloin etc., the fat is probably there, but integrated in the steak....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 pm

We're not going to get much of an argument going in this thread. I agree 100 percent with you and Niki.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Ditto, ditto, ditto. My only angle is grilling it over different woods for a slightly different flavor -- mesquite, hickory, apple....
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue May 30, 2006 7:40 am

I like the rib, but I'll take mine with the bone in. So, my favorite cut of steak is a bone in rib steak, with the bone frenched off for presentation purposes.

I like it rare to medium rare, because anything beyond that negatively impacts the texture of the meat, IMO. And I do enjoy finishing the steak with a disc of compound butter. It might be gilding the lily, but I think it adds a touch of finesse.

Steak sauce? For what? Certainly not to put on the steak.........
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 30, 2006 9:13 am

I believe a bone in rib eye is also referred to as a Club Steak. The best steak I ever made was one of these cooked over apple wood coals that were almost burned out and it took about 20 minutes to cook med-rare.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 9:50 am

Club steak?

Must be a regional thing. Out west, 'spencer' was once an interchangeable name for a rib eye; 'delmonico' or 'club' for a New York strip.

But sign me up: rib eye's are the best, though I also love them on the bone like John. My favorite basic seasoning would be crushed garlic, salt and coarse black peppercorns pressed into the flesh. Plain or compound butters are delicious, but I usually do that only on sirloin. Steak sauce? Never.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 30, 2006 10:29 am

Regional and a bit confusing. The following is from http://www.Epicurious.com

club steak
This tender, flavorful beef cut comes from the small end of the SHORT LOIN next to the rib. It has a bone along one side, but includes no portion of the tenderloin.

Delmonico steak
Another specialty made famous at Delmonico's, this tender, flavorful steak is a boneless beef cut from the SHORT LOIN. Depending on the region, butcher and so on. It's also referred to as a NEW YORK STEAK. The Delmonico steak can be broiled, grilled or fried.

New York steak
Also known as New York strip steak and shell steak , this cut of meat comes from the most tender section of beef, the SHORT LOIN. It's the boneless top loin muscle and is equivalent to a PORTERHOUSE steak minus tenderloin and bone. Depending on the region, it's also marketed as Delmonico steak, Kansas City (strip) steak, shell steak, sirloin club steak and strip steak . This tender cut may be broiled, grilled or sautéed.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue May 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
What cut is your favorite steak? What degree of doness do you prefer, and why?

In the USA, New York Strip, elsewhere Sirloin, medium rare - seems more flavorsome and I don't mind it medium and steaks are more often overcooked then under

Larry Greenly wrote:What are your thoughts about placing a dollop of butter on a finished steak to enrich it?

Dislike it intensely. The meat should be moist enough.

Larry Greenly wrote:Steak sauce or not? And what kind?

Not for me. I like hot - English - mustard. In Argentinian restuarants chimmichurri and some have a red chili sauce. Mmmm
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 30, 2006 1:57 pm

Peter May wrote:steaks are more often overcooked then under

No kidding.

I get tired sending steaks back when I order rare and get something without a tinge of pink inside.

I had one restaurant try twice with a rack of lamb, both times ending up with medium.

My other guests had finished when they brought the final overcooked piece of meat, so I told them to cancel it (along with their tip) and walked out hungry.

Mostly I order 'bleu' just to avoid this sort of thing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 2:04 pm

Wish I liked 'bleu' better, Bill, then I'd have a wider target area for them to shoot for. But what I like is rare--bright red/rose color, not pink, not blue. I do have better luck asking for what I want by specifiying the color, that negates the ability of my server to lecture me on what their idea of rare is (I've had results of raw and medium explained to me this way).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

by Mike Conner » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Aged prime ribeye. At least 1 1/2 inch think (or better).

Haven't asked for bone-on, so I'll have to try that soonly.

Salted and peppered, and onto the hardwood charcoal grill where I sear it on both sides for 2-3 minutes, then I move it to the other side of the grill (no coals underneath/near) where I finish it off for another 5-8 minutes just to worm it a smidge. So, I guess this would come out medium-rare at most (I always have it refrigerator temp before throwing on the grill).

No butter, no sauce . . . give it a couple minutes rest (usually while I'm making a cholesterol bomb out of a properly baked potato out of the grill), and off I go.

Lucky to have two or three locations to get true 'prime' beef (although one source is heads and shoulders above the other, but its hours is somewhat limited, so in a pinch, another location will do when I feel my arteries aren't properly clogged enough).

Had this very meal Saturday eve . . .

Thanks,

Mike
no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

by MichaelJ » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:17 am

NY Strip or center cut sirloin. Salt, pepper, olive oil. Seared in a very hot pan, finished to rare. No butter, sauce, or other adornments, please.

Though occasionally I like giving a t-bone the Florentine treatment: garlic, lemon, and arugula.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Answer to steaks and stuff questions

by Bill Spencer » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:18 pm

%^)

Without a doubt ...

porterhouse !

Medium-rare ...

Butter ? Come on !

Steak sauce ? Ya gotta be kidding !

Salt and pepper on a charcoal fired Weber ...

Baked potato ? Fergitit ! Garlic mashed with the skins on only !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Richard Atkinson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 pm

Bone in rib-eyes or porterhouse

by Richard Atkinson » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Neither are always available, so we usually make do with boneless rib-eyes.

Richard