Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: Harmnutty STGFOP Assam

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: Harmnutty STGFOP Assam

by Saina » Wed May 31, 2006 6:08 am

Harmnutty is apparently a great producer in Assam.

Dark leaves, with plenty of gold-brown tips. The brew (seeped for 4 mins at 95 C) was very dark orange, like an aged Tokaji Aszú Esszencia. The nose is the archetypal black tea: strong and assertive with slight hints of orange. The palate is strong, tannic and balanced. Assertive stuff! Very nice.

The terroirs of tea are really interesting, no?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: TTN: Harmnutty STGFOP Assam

by Marc D » Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 pm

I will chime in on the tea discussion you have started, Otto. Assam is one of my favorites. The thing I really like about it is with a little milk, it takes on a very malty flavor. There are some teas that I don't add milk to, but I always do with Assam.

I used to have to my tea shipped to me, but now I stock up when visiting Vancouver. The Canadians have a better selection of fine teas than I can find here.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: TTN: Harmnutty STGFOP Assam

by Saina » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:25 pm

Marc D wrote:I will chime in on the tea discussion you have started, Otto. Assam is one of my favorites. The thing I really like about it is with a little milk, it takes on a very malty flavor. There are some teas that I don't add milk to, but I always do with Assam.

I've heard that Assam can be really good with a touch of milk, but as a lactose intolerant, I will never try. Just not worth the pain IMO. Though I suppose I could taste the tea like I do wine - spit it out, LOL!! I never add anything to my tea except water ;)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.