The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Just curious: Does anyone bother with the "old" WLDG site?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Just curious: Does anyone bother with the "old" WLDG site?

by OW Holmes » Sun May 28, 2006 5:17 pm

Perhaps it is time to bring WT101 and a couple of other forums over here - like the travel forum that includes all the info on NiagaraCool.
I have never been able to log on from work, except for a short period of time I was ahead of our techies and could disable security long enough to log in. I cannot do that anymore so I don't post there at all. I look in only to see what the plans are for NiagaraCOOL.
Robin, are you listening????
-OW
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 29, 2006 7:46 am

OW Holmes wrote:Perhaps it is time to bring WT101 and a couple of other forums over here - like the travel forum that includes all the info on NiagaraCool.
I have never been able to log on from work, except for a short period of time I was ahead of our techies and could disable security long enough to log in. I cannot do that anymore so I don't post there at all. I look in only to see what the plans are for NiagaraCOOL.
Robin, are you listening????

I am, but for whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure that the participants are mirroring all the essentials about NiagaraCool on both forums. As for WT101, my initial feeling was that it remained a good fit with the Netscape Forum's particular focus on wine newbies, although again, we've been <i>trying</i> to maintain WT101 in two places - as a "folder" or separate section on Netscape, but also in the form of at least a thread and TNs here as well. I don't know if that approach isn't working, or if we're simply not publicizing it enough.

Bottom line, I'm willing to hear suggestions, but as I said at the top of the thread, I do feel some desire to keep the Netscape Forum alive, both because I was asked to take it over and made a commitment to do that, and because it really does offer an opportunity to provide some level of wine education to non-wine-geeks who have access to all that group of forums through Netscape and CompuServe. While I don't expect everyone here to participate in that, I appreciate it when WLDG "regulars" are willing to come over and help out.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 29, 2006 8:33 am

While I don't expect everyone here to participate in that, I appreciate it when WLDG "regulars" are willing to come over and help out.

Robin, while I am the one who stated that I "don't go there anymore" I would still be willing to go there to help out, if it wasn't so damned difficult to do. Every time I come to the chat I have to shut down my ZoneAlarm firewall, and restart it after I get in. I know that the general feeling is that it is my problem and not a problem with NS/AOL, but I go to one heck of a lot of web pages and don't have that problem. Of course it is not JUST the firewall problem that keeps me from enjoying the WLC, it is a whole host of other issues that keep me away, but if it were not for the firewall issue, I would probably overlook those and still read and post there.

Be sure though that I am not asking for anyone to advise me as to how to work around the firewall issue, because I think I have, except for chat.
The above is just FYI.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 am

Sue Courtney wrote:Hi Bruce, There were many design features associated with the Netscape Community that made it a hostile place for me. I stopped going there long before this place started.

I'll second that - and I haven't been back since except to hunt for an address to the old board (couldn't find it).

And the fact that it seemed to have become a bizarre therapy spot for demented Zuccoids when I did peek merely reaffirms my decision never to darken that door again.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon May 29, 2006 12:48 pm

"I appreciate it when WLDG "regulars" are willing to come over and help out."

Will do, Robin.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 pm

(Some text deleted by Robin with Bucko's permission.)

(Some text deleted by Robin with Jenise's permission.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue May 30, 2006 11:55 am

It was only a matter of time. Sad.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 31, 2006 11:10 am

Robin - What is the possibility of having the "Chat" set up through this site?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 31, 2006 1:58 pm

I am not Robin as you know Howie, but I don't think it can be done here, or at least not without a monthly fee. If Robin wants to ask a donation towards an annual fee for a top notch chat room I for one would be willing to chip in.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 31, 2006 3:36 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I am not Robin as you know Howie, ...

You're not? :o
You fooled me with the Robin costume you were wearing on Halloween. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 31, 2006 4:00 pm

Scared you too didn't it! :roll:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed May 31, 2006 4:36 pm

You fooled me with the Robin costume you were wearing on Halloween.

I hear he dresses up like Mary on Friday nights.... ducking
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed May 31, 2006 4:49 pm

Better than not dressing up at all.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 31, 2006 5:26 pm

Well said James, I'm telling you the man hates me the way he spreads rumors! :D
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed May 31, 2006 5:49 pm

We all know his preference for swilling Thunderbird on the old couch out on the front porch with the hound dog, the shot gun, and nothing between him and mother nature. (Let's not forget the front yard littered with broken down cars and old television sets.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 31, 2006 5:54 pm

I mean, afterall he IS an OKIE! still has dust in his craw! 8)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed May 31, 2006 5:55 pm

Who knows what else? There's an ugly picture!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed May 31, 2006 6:01 pm

James, I am about to find out who is, and who is not soft on kids where it comes to responsibility. As to kids doing these things like binge drinking, or expecting a car at age 16 when they are ELIGIBLE to drive. and my believe is that a real good ass kicking by the parent will go a long way to keep them on a path that will NOT lead to trouble. I fully believe that a little (and I emphasize little) fear of Mom and dad is a GOOD thing.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Wed May 31, 2006 8:44 pm

We all know his preference for swilling Thunderbird on the old couch out on the front porch with the hound dog, the shot gun, and nothing between him and mother nature. (Let's not forget the front yard littered with broken down cars and old television sets.)

I take offense at that -- that is hound dawgs, plural son, I say plural. And don't forget about the fly swatter that is also useful as a back scratcher.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Robin - What is the possibility of having the "Chat" set up through this site?

Sorry, guys ... I didn't mean to ignore you, but I've been out of pocket much of the day.

Here's my knee-jerk reaction: I was delighted to move the chat from our old chat room to CompuServe, partly because I was paying a small but non-trivial sum ($100 a quarter, I think) to rent the old one, and partly because - so soon we forget - the old one was really, really buggy.

It's not feasible to host a chat feature on our own server. Too many security issues.

As we move away from the Netscape/CompuServe forum, I would be willing to consider looking at alternatives, preferably a rental situation like we had before. But I'd want to do some very thorough due diligence and deal with a provider of excellent quality and a robust chatroom that's easy to use and doesn't crash or lock up. Cost is also an issue, because I'm not really comfortable passing the hat to you guys, but at the same time, the number of chatters isn't really sufficient to interest an advertising sponsorship.

I'll be glad to look around and see if I can find anything, and would welcome suggestions.

But the Netscape chat room seems to work quite well, and it's frankly the most robust chat applet I've ever seen. I don't like that you can't post hotlinks or copy-and-paste it, but it has never crashed on us yet, and that's a good thing. And of course it's free. :)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote: And of course it's free. :)

Hey - cheap at twice the price! :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:49 am

I am one of the few forumites here who takes a lot of interest in WT 101.
I am back from birding so missed my daily visits. It is a pain posting notes on both forums and I am feeling that 101 should be over here. Have said that for a long time in fact. Karen used to play a role, so did Bill and it was a lot of fun. Not so anymore.
Whats the theme this month? Reminder please..is it "I just dont get it?"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I am one of the few forumites here who takes a lot of interest in WT 101.
I am back from birding so missed my daily visits. It is a pain posting notes on both forums and I am feeling that 101 should be over here. Have said that for a long time in fact. Karen used to play a role, so did Bill and it was a lot of fun. Not so anymore.
Whats the theme this month? Reminder please..is it "I just dont get it?"

Welcome back, Bob! We've just been talking about WT101, and about the Netscape Forum, and we'll definitely be looking at a greater presence for it over here.

I believe "I just don't get it" was the original plan for June, but we're wondering if it might be better to go back to the old concept of a specific region and specific variety each month so we can really focus. What do YOU think? I'd like to start the new month officially soon, now that June is here, but we could launch the new one as late as Monday and it would be OK.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:41 am

Randy,
My apologies. Enjoy the front porch and the 20/20. Give my regards to the Dawgs.
Cheers!
James
PreviousNext