The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Brainaire Ducru 1996

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

WTN: Brainaire Ducru 1996

by OW Holmes » Tue May 30, 2006 2:06 pm

Maybe this isn't really a TN since I didn't take notes at the time, and this is from memory, but I think a valid data point regarding this 1996 St. Julien Bdx. Opened and poured, no decanting, because of a disappointing '86 Bdx brought by a friend. Beautiful and big nose erupting from the glass, cassis, leather, cedar, barnyard. Very layered and complex, smooth mouthfeel, and lingering finish of at least 40 seconds. Tannins not fully resolved but damned close and in no way interfering with our enjoyment the wine even as a standalone. Very well balanced. Consumed very quickly in a crowd truly appreciative of it. With only the last ounce or so of Beth's glass remaining 2 hours later, when it seemed slightly more simple to me. Nevertheless, vastly superior to a 1986 Cos D'Estournel opened the same evening - but the latter may have been flawed, slightly corked, or mishandled at some time in the past. I've been holding back on the '96s, but may have to start sampling more of them. This one was fabulous.
-OW
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Brainaire Ducru 1996

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Oliver, we drank two bottles of the 96 last year, the first one being so good that it prompted opening the second not many weeks after. That solidified Branaire, which I discovered with the 95 vintage, a spot on our Favorite BDX list. Glad to hear the 96 is still throwing off sparks. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue May 30, 2006 5:14 pm

maybe this is why their winemaker at that time is now at mouton
david creighton
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue May 30, 2006 7:57 pm

So I guess now I will just have to load up on this Mouton stuff, eh????
-OW
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed May 31, 2006 9:04 pm

It's one of my favorites, OW. Glad you liked it. Also love 1996 Talbot. Felt bad that Dale didn't find much in it. 1996 Sociando Millet is also wonderful, to me; although it isn't a St-Julien.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed May 31, 2006 11:15 pm

SM is a favorite almost any year. I have a case of the 96 but haven't touched a bottle yet. (I did sample a bottle before purchasing the case.) I designated it as my granddaughter's wedding wine - she's 13 now and going on 22. I suspect it will hold just fine for another 10 or 15 years. Also have a case of the '00, and a few mixed bottles of other years back to 93. Even liked the almost feminine 1997. Great producer, that SM.
-OW
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:50 pm

That '96 SM is a strange wine. A couple of years ago my brother asked me to pick up a few bottles of it for him as they were available in New Jersey, where I was on business. Brought them to his home when he was throwing a lawn party. We opened one to test it and it was so good we couldn't stop and we drank all of them. I had the impression then that they could not get any better; not that they tasted like they were even mature, but that they were just so good just as they were. Then I bought a case and have only opened one since, which was still very, very good, but not really better than it was two years ago. Hopefully they will mature gracefully over a long period of time, morphing into different but equally pleasurable entities. Now that I am thinking about it, I guess I will try another one this summer.

I agree about the '97s.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Covert wrote: Also love 1996 Talbot. Felt bad that Dale didn't find much in it. 1996 Sociando Millet is also wonderful, to me; although it isn't a St-Julien.

Covert, are you referring to the '96 horizontal I reported on last month? I thought that bottle was bretty but still liked it, just felt in outclassed by some bigger boys. I've consistently liked the '96 Talbot (I bought 12 in 375s, none showed as bretty as the bottle at Gavroch), but think it's pretty mature now and doesn't have the stuffing to be a 20 yr wine like say the '86 (or '78, '82, '83). But at $12/375 I was very satisfied with the '96 Talbot.

The '96 Sociando is very good and definitely has stuffing.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Yes, I was referring to that horizontal. I might have been in a particularly receptive mood when I drank my last one. Guess it is time to try another.

Lynn keeps putting off opening the '83 Talbot that I purchased with the '66 Gruaud-Larose. She is afraid that it will turn out disappointing, like most of the older wines we buy. That makes her sad, so she resists. You might have noticed that I posted that the '66 G-L was a little disappointing, because Lynn didn't like it. Linear and not very exciting. Lynn is a hedonist and can only appreciate something that appeals to that approach. I like all of the Bordeaux experiences, no matter what. It's the thrill of discovery and knowledge, I guess, regardless of what is learned.