The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Page 78 of the How and why to build a wine cellar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BillCallos

Rank

Just got here

Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 pm

Page 78 of the How and why to build a wine cellar

by BillCallos » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:20 pm

Hello and good day all...I was looking for some clairty on page 78 under recommendations on the ceiling. I found reading the two paragraphs hard to understand, when he talks about insulating the ceiling, do you first install the faced fiberglass insulation then the vapor barrier then the polyethylene or??
the polyethylene then the faced fiberglass then the vapor barrier.
i realize the ceiling must be different than the walls or floor because we want to protect the cellar from the house temps in this case but I find it confusing to understand because he talks about so many things in those two paragraphs he lost me , i must have read it 100 times......
If someone fully understands with the paragraphs on page 78 I would really like clairification his recommendation for me ...Best Regards. Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

Re: Page 78 of the How and why to build a wine cellar

by Bob Cohen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:58 pm

Bill,

I haven't looked at my copy in years, but if you have a vapor barrier do you also need polyethylene sheeting? And doesn't faced fiberglass insulation have a vapor barrier? What you're describing sounds like overkill.

But I have to admit it's been about 15 years since I gave a copy of Gold's book to my builder and said "do it like he says." The guy couldn't believe that a Ph.D. might have anything useful to say about construction. :)
--Bob