The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Kosta Browne Pinot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Kosta Browne Pinot

by James Dietz » Tue May 30, 2006 2:36 pm

for any Kosta Browne Pinot fans, the '04s scored nearly off the charts by James Laube and the WS.... a 98 for the Kanzler bottling..

not that we care about points, right????
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Kosta Browne Pinot

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 3:30 pm

Wow. That just about puts the kabosh on any plans I had to ever get my hands on a bottle of KB.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue May 30, 2006 3:38 pm

i've got em..
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 3:48 pm

I know, you dog. I'm about five years behind on keeping up with California pinots. Just got my first Copains, for gosh sakes.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Funny thing:

I had a Kosta Browne Pinot. Matter of fact, I had a couple of them.

And yet....and yet, my life has not changed. I had no revelations. I'm not one whit better looking than I was. I'm sure not any smarter. My good will toward humanity has not appreciably changed.

It's pretty good wine, but isn't this caliber of stuff supposed to change your life or something? You know, make you a better person, or win you a Nobel Prize. whatever?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Hoke,

Maybe it's a matter of expectations? The first time I tasted a KB pinot was at the Family Winemakers show, and I had never heard of them before. I simply was moving from table to table (in search of pinot and cab franc) and when I tasted the KB wines, bells went off. They were my favorite pinots of the day. Since then I've heard a lot about them, of course, and I've never doubted that the accolades were deserved. But when I'm on the other end, tasting a wine for the first time that I've heard big big things about, it's a lot harder to impress.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue May 30, 2006 5:25 pm

Jenise:

Ah, don't mind me. I was just gently poking at one of the things about wine geeks that can be so amusing (and I count myself as one of those, have no doubt). We can smirk at the Points Sheep, and look down our collective nose at people who follow the lifestyle wine glam mags...but in truth we are just as likely as the people we snigger at with our willingness to go haring off after the Next Great Wine.

We snark at folks who are willing to pay heart-stopping prices for things like Screaming Eagle....yet we willingly engage in breathless anticipation of the next discovery, while not coincidentally assisting in driving up the prices remarkably while in pursuit thereof. (Then, of course, we can sit back and complain that the owners must be soooo arrogant because they make a couple of good wines and start boosting their prices like they are ExxonMobil, for godsake!!!)

Of course, within a year or two. someone will find a KB that is less-than-stellar and we'll start undressing the emperor right down to his thong. It will become cliche to talk about KB, for the next Great Wine will be on the scene. And off we go again.

But that's what we do. That's who we are. We just need to step back and be aware of from time to time, thassall. Our version of the Human Comedy. :)

(And by the by, I like the Kosta Browne wines. And Dan Kosta is a great guy too---long time sommelier/wine consultant who realized one of his dreams by going into the production side, and made it in a big, big way. Good on him. I'd say nice things about the other side of the partnership, but I don't know him.)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Tue May 30, 2006 5:28 pm

We are having an off line on Saturday with all the '04 KBs and a bunch of the older ones too.. should be interesting now with this hype....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 pm

According to my notes I have had KB Pinot on two occasions. I don't clearly remember either experience. However, unlike Hoke, my looks did improve significantly after I drinking Kosta Browne. :wink: Notes say "Fruit, smoke, long finish".
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Wed May 31, 2006 1:57 pm

Tanzer not as enthusiastic about these wines (chunky, fruit driven pinots), but I have not yet tasted.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Based on my one tasting experience I got on the KB mailing list and then passed the offer by because unexpected auto expenses left me with a cash flow problem. Hope they will e-mail me an offer again for future vintages.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:35 pm

autos v. wine, JC, and autos won?? We may be forced to revoke your wine geek license if this continues!!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Rumpole,

Chunky, fruit-driven? Not what I remember of what I tasted. What I remember is that the fruit seemed restrained, and there was tons of spice. Maybe they were just travel-shocked. :)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 pm

Here's the path: auto = get to work; get to work = get paid; get paid = buy more wine in the future!
no avatar
User

rumpole

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Washington State

by rumpole » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Jenise - Tanzer's description not mine. I haven't had the opportunity to taste any KB wines (but will, when I do).