The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)..

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: New White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)..

by TomHill » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:06 pm

We tasted last night (5/31/06) some New Rhones:
1. Ampelos QuatroVientoVnyd/SantaYnezVlly Viognier (14.4%; http://www.AmpelosCellars.com; 76 cs)
2005: Very light/near colorless; attractive appley/pear/Viognier bright/fruity nose;
soft/light pleasant/pear/peach/Viognier simple flavor; med. soft pear/peach finish;
a pleasant/drinkable Viognier a bit on the simple side. $25.00
short slight minerally strong peach/pineapple finish; some very pretty minerally/Condrieu
character in the nose but rather ripe on the palate; bit overpriced for the small amount
of Condrieu character therein. $50.00
good acidity & balance and plenty of bright Viognier character. Fairly priced at $25.00
a rather porky/fat Viognier; lots of very ripe fruit but an underlying green character
that suggests grapes harvest at the right sugar level but not yet physiologically
mature. $20.00
floral finish; a pleasant white that speaks in a very low whisper. $25.00
minerally ripe/floral/honeysuckle/pineapply light toasty/oak finish; a nice underlying
minerality w/ a fair amount of oak; interesting white but not worth the price. $39.50
floral/honeysuckle very spicy light minerally light toasty/oak flavor; very long/lingering
very spicy/floral/honeysuckle/appley some minerally/earthy/stoney finish; a lovely very
interesting RhoneBlanc w/ a nice underlying minerality. Fairly priced at $34.00
very spicy/exotic flavor; very long/lingering tart terrific/floral/aromatic finish;
lots of richness but a racy acidity on the palate; a very exotic Viognier. $34.00
bretty/leathery cedary/tobaccoy licorice/plummy finish w/ slight tannic bite; the color
suggested a young wine but the nose spoke of an old slightly tired wine; unusual in that
the flavor was strongly bretty/horsecollar/CdP-like but it didn't come thru in the nose'
quite jammy/boysenberry flavor; long very ripe/jammy intense blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah
toasted coconutty/oak finish w/ some tannins; very Oz-like Syrah. $40.00
gamey/smokey/roasted bit toasty/oak strong blackberry/Syrah finish w/ some tannins; needs
several yr; lots of NorthernRhone character in a bit of a Calif style; impressive Rhone
at a great price. $23.00
strong blackberry/Syrah slight roasted/gamey/peppery finish w/ fair tannins; needs 2-5 yrs;
not a lot of NorthernRhone/roasted character, lots of toasty oak, and rather Calif in
style; too pricey for a Calif Syrah at $65.00
blackberry bit tannic flavor; long earthy/gamey blackberry/Syrah/spicy some peppery very
interesting finish w/ some tannins; needs ?? age; very fine rendition of ElDorado Syrah.
licorice flavor; med.long bright strawberry/Grenache finish w/ light tannins; a bright/
vibrant loads of strawberry fruit Grenache; ready to drink. $22.50
roasted/toasty/Fr.oak slight earthy/peppery fairly tannic flavor; very long/lingering
extracted/tannic huge/blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah some licorice/pungent bit roasted/
toasty finish w/ ample tannins; needs much age; carries the alcohol well and has a great
balance & acidity to it; a stunning/killer Syrah at a great price. $26.50
toasty/charred/oak flavor; very long/lingering very tannic/extracted peppery/PS/licorice
finish that Cotes the mouth; huge tannins but not brutally astringent or harsh; a killer/
killer PS that should live forever. $41.00
cedary slight blackberry/Syrah bit tannic/hard flavor; med.long spicy/cracked pepper
toasty/roasted/cedary/pencilly finish w/ some tannins; very strong cracked black pepper
character and no Zin character whatsoever; much like a WashState Syrah; starting to dry
out on the palate a bit.
bit licorice flavor; med.long soft/fat intense boysenberry/blackberry/Shiraz pretty
oaked finish w/ some tannins; needs a few yrs of age; very much like an Oz or Saxum
Syrah. About $20.
slight tannic flavor; very long balanced/rich strong blackberry/Syrah/peppery finish w/
fair amount of tannins; no signs of drying out and should go another 3-5 yrs I would
guess.
for this wine was to make a light/quaffable/drinkable poolside wine, not a serious
statement for Viognier. For that role, this is a very nice wine. But would like a bit
more acidity to it.
and its high acidity. It was like no other Viognier I can recall; not Condrieu, not Calif.
These are the first far SonomaCoast White Rhones I can recall having and I was mightly
impressed. Alas, tiny production.
wine I've ever had and one of the best LivermoreVlly reds I've had. Not a great wine and
maybe a bit overpriced, but a dead-ringer for a very good Oz Shiraz.
I really like about Steve's wines is how they change w/ age, in ways that you really can't
predict. I have this sneaking suspicion that Steve's making his wines by intuition and
blind luck!!
was not THE PeayVnyds. This is a wnry in Marin Cnty owned by Susan & Jonathan Pey. Their
wines, until now, have all been labeled Pey-Marin Vnyds (and Mt.Tamalpais Vnyds for
Southern France-style wines) so there was no chance of confusion. But I could see where
the simple Pey Vnyds could cause some problems unless you see the label. But you can't
fool Google...when you Google "Pey Vineyards", it scolds you for mispelling Peay Vineyards!!
This SonomaCnty Syrah is BennettVlly fruit and is an absolute killer Syrah, one of
the best Calif Syrahs I've tried this year. When the group tasted it, there was the
usual "Carlisle Lament" rippling around the room..."I shoulda bought more"!!!
PS. I would venture a guess that this may, someday, be the equal of the famed Ridge
YorkCreek PS '71; a wine, at 25 yrs of age, that was probably the greatest Calif red
wine I've ever had. Shoulda bought more!!
Certainly one of the strangest, most bizarre Zins I've ever had in my life. Were I one to
worship at the altar of varietal typicity, I would have dissed this wine. But if this is
how WashState terroir displays Zin, I'm all for it. Damn fine wine, it is.
Tom
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: New White&Red Rhones...(long/boring)..

by JoePerry » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:31 pm

TomHill wrote:________________________
12. EdmundsStJohn Syrah "Wylie-Fenaughty"/ElDoradoCnty (14.2%; http://www.EdmundsStJohn.com) 2003:
Med.dark color; quite strong earthy/mushroomy some gamey/plummy/blackberry/Syrah slight
Rhonish interesting nose; strong earthy/mushroomy/gamey bit smokey/complex rather Syrah/
blackberry bit tannic flavor; long earthy/gamey blackberry/Syrah/spicy some peppery very
interesting finish w/ some tannins; needs ?? age; very fine rendition of ElDorado Syrah.

I really like about Steve's wines is how they change w/ age, in ways that you really can't
predict. I have this sneaking suspicion that Steve's making his wines by intuition and
blind luck!!

Tom

Bottle variation? :shock: :wink:
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Bottle Variation???

by TomHill » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:35 pm

No....I drink his wines often enough that I haven't observed a higher-than-normal variation from btl to btl.
What I was trying to say is that, as Steve's wines age in the btl; they sometimes take some unexpected/surprising twists and turns. For example, I had a btl of his '96 ElDorado PinotGrigio last Winter. I fully expected it to be totally dead&gone. It was, on release, nothing to get excited about. Surprise, it was absolutely stunning... very much alive and one of the best PinotGrigios I'd ever had. I'll occasionally have one of his Syrahs after 2-3-4 yrs that has become pretty funky/bizarre/sometimes stinky/totally not what I'd expected of it; only to find it had turned into a magnificant wine a few yrs later. But I don't think it's btl variation though.
I wouldn't be surprised that Steve sometimes get surprised by how some of his wines evolve. It's that "intuition and blind luck" thing I suppose.
Tom