The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Nick Dobson's write-up on Austria and its wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Nick Dobson's write-up on Austria and its wines

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:46 pm

I'm not sure how many people have already seen this page, but with the recent increase in interest in Austria's very own white variety, Grüner Veltliner, and its Rieslings too, I figured there may be folks who'd like to give this page a browse. It is well laid out and gives a good overview.

Overview of Austrian Wine

Now, I for years have looked with great fondness to this Central European nation and its distinct wine culture. I say "distinct" quite simply because it is different from what we see in France or Italy. There are French varieties grown there, no doubt, but there's more to the wine scene than that alone.

I would love to visit Austria one day and take all its culinary and vinous Gemütlichkeit.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Karol Slisinski

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 am

Poland

Re: Nick Dobson's write-up on Austria and its wines

by Karol Slisinski » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:07 pm

Hello!
Very good article. I know a little bit Austrian wines and i can tell you that not only wines from Wachau are superb but Kamptal (Hiedler, Schloss Gobelsburg, Brundlmeyer) and Donauland (Leth, Ott) are amazing too. Last week i tasted Dintlgut Loiben Gruner Veltliner Loibenberg 2005. It is very good wine with lot minerals in taste, but with strong fruits too. Because oof minerals it is a little bit "cold" but with great balance.
Beter than 2004.
Best regards
P.S. Sorry for my poor English :?
P.S. 2. You definately should taste some good Hungarian wines too !!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Karol, first let me welcome you to the forum, and then let me tell you that your english is just fine. Much bettter than anyone here speaks Polish! I am just beginning to see GV's in my local market. Retailers here seem to think that no one drinks white wines that are not chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or pinot grigio. Of course there are a few others such as a few whites from the Loire, and a few from Alsace.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:36 pm

Welcome, Karol! I think that you must be the first Polish participant in the history of our community :D

Jestem polskiego pochodzenia, wiec mozemy nawet pisac po polsku. Widze jednak, ze doskonale piszesz po angielsku :)
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:38 pm

As for Hungarian wines, I have tried many in the past and I definitely agree with you - they are great. I especially enjoy the Blaufränkisch (Kékfrankos) and Irsai Olivér table wines.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Paul B. wrote:Welcome, Karol! I think that you must be the first Polish participant in the history of our community

So soon we forget Nerval! I wonder where that guy has been, we haven't seen him for years.
no avatar
User

Karol Slisinski

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:35 am

Poland

by Karol Slisinski » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:15 am

Thank you for your welcoming. I'll try to write something interesting here sometimes. Wine market in Poland is very young and difficult. The main problem is price of wine which is often twice as high as in Germany shops for example. Because of this most of polish winelovers go to berlin for example and buy a lot of bottles for 2-3 months. I'm one of the people who wants to change this sick situation. I try to sell very good wines in prices similar or even lower than in german shops. Tuesday i'm going to Hungary to Tokaji (meeting with Szepsy and Arvay) and i'll write something about it. To Paul B. : Bardzo sie ciesze ze doskonale mowi Pan po polsku! Jesli bedzie taka mozliwosc moglibysmy sie wymienic kilkoma winami trudnodostepnymi u was i u nas. Nie wiem jak prawo u was zapatruje sie na wysylke np 2 butelek wina? Pozdrawiam.
Best
Karol