The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Come on baby light my fire

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Come on baby light my fire

by Jenise » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:41 pm

2020 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Gris Oregon
This would have been an unusually good white from this normally boring producer in terms of flavor/texture intensity, but smoke taint obviously affected the grapes. Smokey flavor steps in on the midpalate and stays thru the finish. Behold the future of winemaking during bad fire seasons.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Come on baby light my fire

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm

The future of winemaking for wineries that don't adequately test the wines for taint.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:09 pm

Or that do and bottle it anyway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

by Steve Edmunds » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 pm

there's a Corsican Vermentino that Kermit Lynch imports, producer is Mastraecci, I think, and in 2004 the wine was oddly smokey-smelling and tasting, reminiscent of Islay Scotch. Having had previous vintages, which I'd enjoyed, at first I found it just a little off-putting; then, one evening at a local restaurant (like so many restaurants, now closed) sitting at the bar with my wife, I noticed they were pouring it by the glass, and I'd ordered some oysters (they had a great raw bar), and on tasting it with the oysters, discovered it drank fabulously well. Kermit told me a few years later that they'd had a fire close by the vineyard. Blind luck, I guess, that there might be exceptions to the smoke-taint catastrophe. I found myself wishing they could do it again!