The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dawn Brennan

Rank

Just got here

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Bordeaux

by Dawn Brennan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:08 pm

I am off to Bordeaux for two or three days in mid September - any suggestions for wine tasting?
Dawn
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Bordeaux

by David Creighton » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:09 pm

sorry no ones replied so i guess i'll step in. they do not normally have 'tasting rooms' or welcome drop in guests at the chateau there. however i am told that they are getting a bit more friendly in that regard and that the local syndicat initiative - c of c - has started helping out tourists who want to visit. an even better way is to decide on your favorite bordeaux vineyards and contact the local retail store that recognizes you as a customer and asking them if they can help you by contacting the distributor of those wines or the importer and work through those chanels. another way is just to take the bull by the horns and google the estates name until you find an email for them or their website and ask them directly if you could arrange a brief visit; that they are one of your favorites, etc. a brief visit may turn out to be longer in some cases; but basicially they don't do much of that sort of thing, so....... you will probably have b etter luck with non classified vineyards than with classified ones; but no harm trying. will be very difficult at the top chateau - so keep expectations realistic. hope this helps. david
david creighton
no avatar
User

Dawn Brennan

Rank

Just got here

Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:09 pm

by Dawn Brennan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:20 am

Thank you David. That's very helpful. I'll make some direct contacts.
Dawn
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:27 am

Dawn, your question is a great one if extremely open ended - and that may be why replies are slow in coming.
I have had the most luck going to retailers and distributors and asking them for suggestions. Most of the time, at least in my experience, top notch wine retailers will provide names and numbers of contacts and once in a while, even set up tours/tastings.
I've found, too, that taking your cellar notebook, if you have one, to the retailers and the wine producers can often demonstrate your seriousness about wine and garner the attention you deserve.
Have a great trip and when you get back, let this forum know what impressed you the most.