The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN quickies: Hmm, not so bad after all...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN quickies: Hmm, not so bad after all...

by John Treder » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:12 am

We're having the kitchen remodeled, so for a few weeks, we're eating dinner out, one way or the other.

Last Sunday, just before the Destructors arrived, we had grilled lamb chops, potato patties and yellow summer squash for supper, with a bottle of Preston Mourvedre, Dry Creek Valley, 2002, $22 at the winery.

Not bad. It was pretty tannic when I bought it in late '05, and it was still tannic 15 months ago. The tannins have faded some, and brought some acidity to the fore. Beyond that, it has lots of aroma, lots of ripe fruit, medium length. I had hoped that it would improve as the tannin faded, but it really didn't.

Last night we went to the local pasta/pizza joint and I spied La Famiglia Mondavi Barbera, Napa Valley, 2001, for $38. It was very good, thoroughly enjoyable with a pizza of linguica, mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes. Bright acidity with a good earthy base, nice clear dark ruby color, and more length than I expected. If you found it in a store for $15, it would be a good deal.

This evening, I decided to splurge and went to Twist Bistro in Campbell, a California-French place owned by Dominique and Eileen Faury. Yes, they do speak French, though I don't.
I ordered a salad of avocado and crab, which was served over a bed of baby greens with a rather tart balsamic vinaigrette, nicely setting off the bland avocado mixture. Mom had lamb chops with a tarragon jus for her main course, and I had duck with a blueberry sauce. I saw a bottle of Bouchard Bourgogne, 2005, on the list for $36 and I ordered it.

The duck was as good as I've had in 4 or 5 years - crisp and juicy both, and not at all tough. I wish I knew the trick!
The wine was much better. I have to see if I can find any of it! Dark ruby in color, clean and sharp in the entry, opening to a very ripe (for France) mid-palate that really delighted my Californicated taste buds. Finish was very even, and medium to long. The initial aroma was pleasant, but I fear that my always deficient nose was rather damaged by a lot of dust today.

A good week for wine!

(OmiGawd, I see that I've been crowned a German Geek! And here I am of partly Polish parentage!)