The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Goodbye Dinners

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Goodbye Dinners

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:43 pm

Am leaving London next week so I've been having a few dinners to touch base and say goodbye to people..

with Trent
1993 Maximin Grünhaus Abtsberg Kabinett
This smells absolutely divine from the moment I pull the cork. Spicy, rocky, and golden. The fruit is slightly sour and verdant but it still has rich yellow cherries and rocks and a decent golden roundness. Not the most complex but a lovely way to unwind.

2004 Saintbury Pinot Noir Toyon Farm
Trent is the son of Dick Ward so it wasn't a surprise that he pulled out this. A nice wine that is calmer and less brutish from when I last tasted in March. In fact it seems almost "mellow" for the California idiom at this point in time. Still, while not blocky and thick it is nonetheless heavy and rich for pinot noir, a bit simple at this stage, and not my favorite expression of the grape.

with Nicos
1994 Maximin Grünhaus Herrenberg Spätlese
I had to punish Nicos with some brisk German riesling, and this did the trick. Fresh and refreshing and no longer showing much sweetness but still has a plump-enough body to start rolling around the tongue. I liked this as a lovely way to unwind, nothing more nothing less, although the people at the next table went ga-ga over the perfume and purity after we gave them some pours.

1995 Domaine des Chesnais Bourgueil Cuvée Prestige
Nicos brought this in my honor, hard, acidic, herbal cabernet franc. Fills in slightly with air, but even more so with food (roasted chicken for him and potato gratin for me) which is where it really shines. But, in the end is not much more than an accompaniment.

2004 Domaine de la Mordorée Cuvée de la Reine des Bois
Nicos brought this rich Southern red to punish me, although I must confess that I found it quite lovely. As soon as poured it is obviously richer and heavier than the Bourgueil, and has plenty of mouth-rolling fruit. But a nice elegant buzz of tannins on the finish, and some good supporting acidity make this a very enjoyable wine and an excellent QPR choice as he paid 13euros at the domaine.

2006 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Auslese #9
A wonderful way to end the meal as this was really singing. So lithe, so elegant, yet so full of flavor. Slips across the palate like a ballet glove. You get the idea. The guys at the next table were way more than ga-ga over pours of this. Not sure how it will look in the future but from this one bottle it seems that the Schaefer 06s are coming along nicely in comparison to 1 or 2 months ago.

at home
2006 Maximin Grünhaus Abtsberg Auslese 45
In comparison to the Schaefer from the night before this seems rough and heavy, although of the two Grünhäusers this is drinking better now, especially on the second day when it is more composed, elegant, and finely kint. Still, it is so tropical and slightly ponderous in comparison to my early view in May. Shows you what good those early tasting are huh :wink:

2006 Maximin Grünhaus Herrenberg Auslese 49
This is spicier and richer than the Abtsberg 45, although while the Abtsberg seems more ponderous than in May this seems less creamy as it has gained focus and poise and is potentially the more serious wine. Still, a bit heavy for fun drinking at the moment and this is 35euros for a 375 while the Schaefer was 35euros for a 750, so I would much prefer to drink the latter at the moment while it is showing so well.

Of course I'm saying goodbye and emptying my bottles. So...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Goodbye Dinners

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:08 am

Rahsaan wrote:and this is 35euros for a 375 while the Schaefer was 35euros for a 750.

Actually, my mistake, for those taking notes at home they were all roughly the same price at 35 euros per 750.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 am

Rahsaan, you have me picturing you backing out of your apartment like a retreat mining operation, the rooms collapsing behind you as the bottles are emptied....

Where to now, back to Berkeley?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Jenise wrote:Where to now, back to Berkeley?

Yes, back to Berkeley and in time for tomatoes. Can't complain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 pm

You sure are sucking down those 2006s. I would not expect you to be a fan of that vintage.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:40 pm

I emailed Nicos and seems he is getting to like Riesling!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You sure are sucking down those 2006s. I would not expect you to be a fan of that vintage.

Not a fan in general, but I need something to drink and there are of course nice wines if you look in the right places. :D

The Schaefer GH Auslese #9 in particular was showing very very nicely this weekend. Would be happy to drink more.